• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best gun building video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

48mauser

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What video would you recommend for the most complete instruction for a flint long rifle build for a novice? Thanks, Paul P.

I'd recommend a couple: "Ron Ehlert's Building the Jim Chambers Rifle Kit" is good.

I also have "Hershel House Building a Hawken Rifle". It's really good as well.

Building the Hawken rifle by Hershal House is good but his video Building the Kentucky Rifle is also a very good one. I've watched both several times, checked them out of local library and they were very helpful with my building project.

If you are building from a blank, or if you want to know how,[ if you have a pre-carve ], I highly suggest the video set by Peter Alexander.

I've got a DVD set by Mike Miller on building Kentucky Pistols which is good. I believe he has other videos out as well. I ordered 2 DVD's by Turpin recently but have not received them yet.

I did own Jim Turpin's DVD (but I cracked the darn thing...). It was good to follow for the basics, but I personally like a book to follow along with...with a DVD I may want to go a small step and cannot walk fast enough to get from house to shop and still remember what I just saw :rotf:

I liked Peter Alexander's "Gunsmith..." book...but beware to read it very carefully he is a much better teacher than writer. A single sentence may take an hour or more to complete, but it is a great resource and reference piece.

Jim Brooks has a couple of decent DVD's on beginning engraving and wood carving that are nice specialized DVD's...

I found Jim Turpin's video to be quite good, but Ron Ehlert's video on building the Chambers Long Rifle to be the best. In Ehlert's 3-disc dvd set, he goes into quite a bit of detail on several aspects of building the gun (takes the fear or apprehension out of building the gun).

Good luck to you when you get your first kit to work on. I am on my first one right now, (the video/dvd's) really did help.

I've got a DVD set by Mike Miller on building Kentucky Pistols which is good.

Another vote for Mike Miller's pistol build DVD. Although it is a pistol build, a lot of the work and techniques cross over to rifles.

Back