• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best caliber for round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is one caliber better than another for roundball shooting in a smoothbore? I currently have 20 gauge(.620 actual),I was thinling of going to 24 gauge(58 cal).I can do pretty well with the 62@25 and 50 yd targets.Is there any advantage to going to the smaller caliber?Thanks in advance..Respectfully montanadan

By better do you mean more accurate? I don't think there is a relationship between accuracy and caliber, but the most accurate smoothie I have seen is a buddies .50 which he shoots darn near as good as a rifle to 50 yds. I think sights (or lack of) is the main limiting factor to smoothies, but they are not intrinsically as accurate as rifles.

The only advantage i can see is that you would use a little less lead for the rd balls and have a little less recoil. If you want one specifically for rd balls why not use a rifle? If you still want the advantage of being able to use shot, i would stick with the .20 ga. JMO

well, i had a .62 smooth wilson ,sold it bought a .54.smooth , it`s sort of like getting rid of a pair of comfortable shoes and then buying a pair that is to small :winking: :thumbsup: lesson learned :hmm: -if the shoe fit`s keep it. :rotf:

I agree with Rebel. Using a small diameter Round ball means that it will weigh less. Less mass equals less felt recoil, if the weight of the gun remains the same, the shape of the stock is the same, and velocity is the same.

I think the argument in favor of the smaller gauges for round ball shooting has more to do with the reality about so-called " killing power ". An animal shot with a round ball is killed if the ball is aimed at vital organs, and it a. hits the POA; and b. penetrates to the vital organs to destroy them. A 20 gauge round ball weights 325 grains, approx. which is 3/4 oz of lead. That is a lot of mass in that shape to be hitting any animal that is considered a " soft Skin Animal". Penetration is likely to be completely through the body at any range within 100 yards. The larger 12 gauge ball, which nominally weights 1 1/4 oz., will also completely penetrate a thin skinned animal at any range inside 100 yards. The difference is that with all that extra weight, recoil is going to be much bigger, and more difficult to control. People do develope a flinch shooting guns with that kind of recoil. There are ways to control it:

See my article at
[url] www.chuckhawks.com/Controlling_heavy_recoil.htm[/url]

to learn how to control recoil in long guns, rifles or shotguns.

However, choose a smaller gauge for your smootbore gun also makes sense. If your hunting puts you within 50 yards of a deer or other thin skinned animal, then a 24 ga. or 28 gauge gun also will serve you well. Smaller then 28 gauge, you begin to lose the advantage that a smoothbore has in shooting shot loads, as there is not enough shot, and the column of shot is so narrow leaving the muzzle that you don't get good, even patterns, much beyond 20 yards. The smaller the bore diameter, the more shot rubs against the sides of the bore, creating flats, which make the pellets unstable in air, and cause them to slow down fast, and drop out of the pattern. At social distances, the pattern will be so tight, that you can kill most anything. But between 10 and 20 yards, the pattern starts getting pretty ragged, and thin. At 25 yards you can see major sized holes beginning to devlop in the pattern, and at 30 yards, birds can fly through the remain shot in the pattern. A small gauge gun that will shoot accurately a round ball for hunting deer, well past 30 yards, will be almost useless for hunting birds, rabbits and squirrel at much past 15 yards.

So, like most things in life, choosing a bore diameter for a smoothbore gun so you can shoot both shot loads and round ball is a judgment call that only YOU can make, depending on your wants and needs. BTW, if you want to hunt thick skinned big game, just cast your Round Ball out of a lead alloy, making the balls harder. That is all you need to insure penetration. But stick with pure lead for thin skinned animals. You want a round ball that flattens even in thin skinned organs, so it does the maximum amount of damage to tissue and blood vessels. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Our monthly trail walk has targets from popcicle sticks to 125+ yd gong. One of the guys shoots a 20ga trade gun, 36" bbl, on the rifle trail. He wins about 1/2 the time! He wins most of the time on the trade gun trail. After lunch we shoot clay birds. He wins more than half of the time.-- He shoots 50gr 3f,half fiber wad,bare RB(or 50gr measure-#8s), other half of wad. His big secret---he only shoots one ML-this one. (He says he has a .45 long rifle. I've never seen it.) Bill

Thanks for that story, Bill. I am not surprised. You can't shoot very much before someone reminds you to " Beware the man with one gun!" Notice how light that load is, but he prefers to use FFFg powder. I would expect FFg to give him better patterns, and more accurate RB shooting, even at those long yards. I suspect he builds his scores at the shorter ranges, so that if he misses the long range targets( over 75 yds.) a rifle man will have to shoot well at all the targets to beat him.

Does he have a rear sight on that smoothie?

Yeah Bill, he makes ya want to leave your gun at home and just take a bag of rocks to throw at the targets...save lead and powder..

Back