• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bending brass fixtures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it possible to bend the buttplate to give it a more correct curve? Near the bottom is where it needs to be corrected.

Also can this triggerguard be bent to fit the stock?

Thanks.
DSC00247.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

Frise lets trun the tiggerguard around and see what we have. Also install the tiggers to make sure every thing fits good, Then you can bend the guard to make it fit.
Now for you butt plate start installing your plate by removeing the wood that mkes contact with the high spots. you can check with black marker placed on the plate install then remove and look for the black showing on the wood. This will let you know where to remove the wood. When you get close to a good fit you then can hit the low areas to close the gaps. I hope this helps and answers your question.

Be careful if the fixtures are cast alloy...('not sure what type of build you've got there), but they look to be yellow brass, which will bend, within reason.

If you can inlet the buttplate to closer tolerances, (1/16") you can form it to the stock.

Get it a close as you can, screw it in place. This will draw it even closer. Pound the buttplate carefully with a hammer to close up any gaps. It's advisable to place something between the buttplate and hammer, such as a small length of pipe to avoid too many hammer marks.
Go easy and take your time.

the trigger guard is backwards in ur pic, if it mad for a simular type of gun it should be allmost correct by fitting the pins in.

ahhhh....beat me to it

There now that looks better already you sould have no problem with the amount of bend you will have to go. Just be carefull that is a sand cast brass you are working with and some time they will have air pockets in them you cant see and pitting holes. I say clean it up and bend it. Keep the photo's coming. :v

Be very sure before you put more bend to that buttplate, that this is what you want to do. A curved buttplate usually has to be mounted at the top of your bi-cep of your arm, while a flatter buttplate can still be mounted in the pocket of your shoulder. If you mount a rifle out on your arm, the LOP needs to be longer, than if its mounted to your shoulder, closer to your neck. Either style buttplate works, but has its limitations as well as merits.

Oh, obviously, you can put a shotgun style, flatter buttplate out on your arm, if you want to, but a crescent shaped buttplate usually hurts like the dickens if you mount it to your shoulder.If you are looking to have a copy of a named style of rifle, then you probably will want to use the same style buttplate as the original has on it.

Zonie nice job on showing how to install a butt plate. Now if we could only put all of this good infomation in one book and if people would buy it :wink: .
This is the reson why I joined this forum to help people out and to learn from others.

Back