• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Benchrest gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt-pp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to build (with a lot of help) :haha: a benchrest gun for competition. I have been looking for a barrel for this project but cant locate one. Any suggestions? :hmm:

You don't need to be pretty with a bench gun, just a half stock with a heavy 42 -44 inch barrel. It's a well know fact that the uglier it is, the better it will shoot. :winking: Anyway Jim Goodoien it you man for the barrel. Something in the 48 to 52 cal with a false muzzle should do the trick. I can't lay my hands on his contact info but if you call Track of the Wolf they should be able to give it to you.

capt-pp said:
Looking to build (with a lot of help) :haha: a benchrest gun for competition. I have been looking for a barrel for this project but cant locate one. Any suggestions? :hmm:

xxbenchx.jpg

John Hinnant should have some information about bench guns if you can get him to spread some that saavy, hes been at it long enuff! here is one of his bench guns I have posted before! Its a 50plus pounder with false muzzle. :thumbsup:

Davy

If you'll scan back a month or so here we had a long benchrest thread going, lots of info, you going to shoot ball or bullet first before you pick a barrel. John posted some things on it. Fred :hatsoff:

Talk about good luck :thumbsup: I found a K R Bresien .50 cal heavy bench today. It had been in a guys closet since 1986. Some light surface rust on barrel inside good. Stock had not even been shaped or finished. To top it off the guy sold it to me for $500 :blah: No I did not forget a 0. So for now the building project is off :applause:

YA nows the fun part, working up the right load :rotf: :grin: Fred :hatsoff: You got off great at 500 guy.

I have stripped the barrel down and am thinking of browning it. Also saw one that had been cloroxed/bleached at our state shoot and that would be nice as well. Any suggestions? Has anyone heard of bleaching a barrel? How is it done?

thanks
perry

Beyond using it to rapidly "age" a gun I haven't done much with bleach.

I will say that in 5-15 minutes pure bleach will eat big uneven spots in a mild steel barrel and the rust that ensues is difficult to stop even with washing and oiling.
Whatever you do with it, don't let it touch the bore or threads in the barrel unless you want to end up with a very expensive crow bar. :(

Been learning something new every day I read this forum. I've never heard of bleaching a barrel. :hmm:

you could also sandblast the barrel and action. Just make sure that all the openings are plugged well and tape the face of the action and the but of the barrel. take your time sandblasting those parts and you will get a nice even mat finish.
also make sure to wear rubber gloves to keep the oil from your skin off the super clean metal. you could use a good quility bluing or a browning solution to finih . i use this method on 99% of the guns i build. when i am using hot brown i will put 5 to 7 coates on to get a nice even color. hope this helps.

when bleaching a barrel as was stated make sure you dont get any in the barrel. to stop the process wash it down with a good bath of baking soda. that nuetralizes the chemicals.
curt

Latest posts

Back