• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belgum flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayghost

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at friends house this morning and he had just bought a flintlock that resembled a brownbess musket. It was about 12 Guage. I remember seeing one like it in an old Shooters bible fron 1959. Would this gun be safe to shoot. It doesn't look like very good quality.

I bought a "zulu" gun back in 68. It was about 16 ga and seemed to be made from all sorts of European musket parts. It was made in Belgum, apparently for the African trade. Mine shot ok, it was a bit clunckey though and the wood to metal fit was iffy at best. I wish I still had it, the French lock would be worth a pretty penny today.
Have a gunsmith check it out.

I was just looking at my old Shooters Bible and they also listed a model in 4 bore. That would be a good paperwad shooter.

Up to WWII , inexpensive muzzleloaders
were made in Liège city , Belgium for trade in Africa and South America , they were also used
on fishing boats in Asia .

They were made exactly as described , from
all kind of spare parts . Some were even percussion
army gun converted to flint , as it is easier to find a good flint in Africa than to find percussion caps .

Some of those found their way in the USA
a the time of centennial and bi centennial celebrations.

First thing to look for : the proof mark
E L G with the symbol of a column or a crown .[url] http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/proofmarks.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
If the barrel is in good shape, the Belgians have always had some of the strictest proofing around.

Latest posts

Back