• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belguim 1860 “colt” centennial arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dad bought this new in the 60’s. By the looks of it, he had shot it quite a bit. There was a pinhole in one cylinder, the cylinder over shot the bolt when cocked, didn’t index the bolt and had some missing screws. I found no parts to be available from centennial arms which is no longer around. So, I took a shot and ordered a Pietta cylinder, which surprisingly had the same ship engraving scene on it. Along with that I ordered a Pietta hand, and some screws from DGW. Low and behold, the cylinder fit with a much tighter fit than the original, not too tight, but not sloppy like the old one. The knob/pin on the hand needed to be filed down to fit in the original hammer. It’s diameter was a couple thousands to big. Oiled it up, reassembled and it functions beautifully. The timing and indexing is spot on. Just thought I would share with anyone interested.
Best of all Dad’s ticked pink!

Attachments

• D6C47FB3-D10D-44DB-ABCD-718AB34572BF.jpeg
    D6C47FB3-D10D-44DB-ABCD-718AB34572BF.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 74
  • 40469939-4EE4-4388-9FE6-41B57612C56F.jpeg
    40469939-4EE4-4388-9FE6-41B57612C56F.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 010CAB18-5FB9-4A95-BF4A-23381B9CA5D8.jpeg
    010CAB18-5FB9-4A95-BF4A-23381B9CA5D8.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 67
Great job; I am surprised the modern Italian Pietta cylinder fit the 50+ year old Belgian revolver

I hope your dad gets to fire it again!

Does your Belgian Centaure 1860 have the notch in its grip base for the shoulder stock?

Finally, are you a FROCS member?

Last edited:
Good work, Andrew!

You mentioned a pinhole in one cylinder (chamber?). For safety’s sake, I would recommend permanently repurposing that cylinder for something other than the revolver. Old cylinders make terrific pencil or punch holders, for example. That pinhole, if between chambers, will likely cause a chain fire. If it’s out the side, you’ll at least get a jet of hot gas coming out where you don’t want it.

Congratulations on making a shooter out of a clunker!

Notchy Bob

You mentioned a pinhole in one cylinder (chamber?). For safety’s sake, I would recommend permanently repurposing that cylinder for something other than the revolver. Old cylinders make terrific pencil or punch holders, for example. That pinhole, if between chambers, will likely cause a chain fire. If it’s out the side, you’ll at least get a jet of hot gas coming out where you don’t want it.

if that one chamber has a pinhole out the side of the cylinder, then maybe remove its cone and designate that as your safety chamber to keep empty...?

Great job; I am surprised the modern Italian Pietta cylinder fit the 50+ year old Belgian revolver

I hope your dad gets to fire it again!

Does your Belgian Centaure 1860 have the notch in its grip base for the shoulder stock?

Finally, are you a FROCS member?
I was very surprised myself. He will in April when decides to head north again. It does have the notch. No I am not a member, yet

Good work, Andrew!

Congratulations on making a shooter out of a clunker!

Notchy Bob
That cylinder will NEVER be shot. I will somehow disable it without destroying it.

If mine I would remove the nipple and pour the chamber full of lead, that way no possibilities of making a misteak. A bit heavier but sems like a sure-fire way of Dis-Abeling that chamber.

That is a handsome revolver. I think that M1860 Colt was really the pinnacle of development for revolvers, in terms of both aesthetics and ergonomics… Grace and style with practical effectiveness.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

Notchy Bob

That is a handsome revolver. I think that M1860 Colt was really the pinnacle of development for revolvers, in terms of both aesthetics and ergonomics… Grace and style with practical effectiveness.
Notchy Bob
Can't argue with that, though I prefer shooting my .36 Navy, my 1860 Colt is the prettiest indeed, sharing it's streamlined look with it's smaller brother the 1862 Police. JMHO

I have an 1802 HARPERS FERRY FLINTER, in 54 CAL. made by them. and they are doing north of $ 600.00. now.

My first revolver was a Centaur, bought in 1962 from a gunshop called "Roberts", St. Martins Lane, just beside Trafalgar Square in London. It is a mystery to me why most people think that Uberti were the first to make a GOOD copy 1960 Army .... the parts on mine interchanged with an original.
I was just about to go to teacher training college, but the Metropolitan Police gave me a Firearm Certificate for "one .44 percussion revolver" as a collectors' item -- - the start of 60 years collecting ;-) I wish that I still had it.

Latest posts

Back