• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belgian Shotgun??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been told this is a Belgian shotgun, 1800s. I know nothing about these guns. I assume it is a muzzle load 20211021_151559.jpg20211021_151614.jpg20211021_151633.jpg20211021_151649.jpg20211021_151806.jpg20211021_151835.jpg20211021_152501.jpg20211021_152635.jpg20211021_152655.jpg20211021_152841.jpg and flintlock. I would appreciate any help to pin down identification,

It is a muzzleloader shot gun but it isn’t nor ever was a flintlock. The back action lock began to be used around 1850 and is still used today. Half cock the lock then remove the ramrod and the wedge that goes threw the forearm and the barrel will lift off, then look for proof marks near the breech. They will add information to the gun.

The gun is not Belgian. It bears Birmingham proof marks from the time period 1813 to 1855 unless there are other proof marks not shown.
By the way--are you by chance in Canada? A gun very similar to this was for sale a couple of weeks ago. I thought about it but passed.

Typical Birmingham Made gun ,the name on the back action lock would have been a help although it bares the Birmingham proof marks it could have been a provincial gun maker
Feltwad

The back action refers to the design of the lock - the metal component you see with the hammer sticking out of it at the front. All the working parts are behind the hammer - hence, the descriptive term 'back action'. It is a percussion lock, BTW, and uses a percussion cap on the nipple that is detonated by the hammer striking it, thus setting off the load of powder in the breech.

The proof marks are on the barrel - you posted the pics yourself.

However - FIRST THING YOU MUST DO is the make sure that the gun is NOT loaded. Get the ram rod and put it down the barrel, and hold it where it stops. Remove it and place it beside the barrel. If it is within half an inch or so of the end of the barrel, you are good to go. If it is a couple of inches or even more short, the you MIGHT just have a load in there - NOT uncommon.

Report back to us here, please, before proceeding.

BTW, 'Old Bermingham' is not a place. The poster was referring to the older style of stamps used by the Birmingham Proof House, replaced a number of times since those shown on your barrels by similar but not identical designs.

Last edited:
I would like to have it and get it back in shooting condition. and make a lot of Smoak with it!.

I was making a statement. that if I had it I would get it up & running, if I had it.

Looks to me like a straight forward restoration job to make a shooter ,everything seems to be there . The name on the lock will give a better idea of the place and date of the piece.
Feltwad

T is correct the first thing you should do is check to see if it’s loaded. The second item to do is find out if it’s in shootable condition. To find that out , Take the barrels off and hold the hook on your finger, lightly tap the sides of the barrels up and down with a piece of steel. You are hopping to hear a ringing sound. If you hear a thud anywhere that means separation, can be fixed but only by an accomplished gunsmith. A ringing sound only and you have a very good shooter.
Good Luck and Have FUN. Doc,

T is correct the first thing you should do is check to see if it’s loaded. The second item to do is find out if it’s in shootable condition. To find that out , Take the barrels off and hold the hook on your finger, lightly tap the sides of the barrels up and down with a piece of steel. You are hopping to hear a ringing sound. If you hear a thud anywhere that means separation, can be fixed but only by an accomplished gunsmith. A ringing sound only and you have a very good shooter.Good Luck and Have FUN. Doc,

The gun the OP showed us only has one barrel, but the 'riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing' instead of a dull 'thud' is still true.

Back