• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle loading double barrel shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drake

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey folks.

Older family member gave me a shotgun. They have no idea what it is and neither do I! What do yall think? Has 284 stamped undeer the barrel. I assume the serial number. Also has a mark towards the rear the is very hard to make out. Possibly a circle with some marks in it? See pics.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240220_163408.jpg
    20240220_163408.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 17084676077038934382013442725227.jpg
    17084676077038934382013442725227.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 17084677279728839151799236080014.jpg
    17084677279728839151799236080014.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Built in the mid to late 1800s and later. Often they have been left loaded so check that out right away.
When I put the rod down the barrel I have about 4 inches left. Just enough for my hand past the muzzle.

When I put the rod down the barrel I have about 4 inches left. Just enough for my hand past the muzzle.
Place the ramrod on the out side of the barrel with that 4” inches held past the muzzle. If the breech end doesn’t reach within an inch of the nipples then the gun has something in it, very likely a load.

Thank you all for the help. Turns out there was a load in both barrels, age unknown. Its with a qualified gunsmith now to be removed.

A wise decision to take it to a smith to unload since you admittedly know little about it. It's very likely he will tell you that it is unsafe to shoot and his advise will be, most likely, based on the fact it has damascus barrels. That may or may not be true, there are a lot of folks here shooting Belgian doubles safely after a thorough cleaning and inspection. You might be able to find someone who is competent to do that for you and if not hang it on the wall and enjoy it. If you decide to do that at least give the metal parts and the bore a good coating of oil to stop any rusting.

A wise decision to take it to a smith to unload since you admittedly know little about it. It's very likely he will tell you that it is unsafe to shoot and his advise will be, most likely, based on the fact it has damascus barrels. That may or may not be true, there are a lot of folks here shooting Belgian doubles safely after a thorough cleaning and inspection. You might be able to find someone who is competent to do that for you and if not hang it on the wall and enjoy it. If you decide to do that at least give the metal parts and the bore a good coating of oil to stop any rusting.
Ive asked the smith to clean it only enough to abate the rust and give it some oil. I dont want the age to be cleaned off it. I do not intend to try and shoot it, itll just be a wall piece. Ill stick to my modern firearms for range days.

Latest posts

Back