• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

beeswax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski76

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have I read it right on this forum that you can use beeswax in the barrel channel and under the barrel to prevent moisture and rust from forming when the stock and barrel are pinned together :confused:

It would seem to be a good natural rust preventative. I wipe the barrel of my in-the-white .58 with a mix of BLO-Turpintine-Beeswax that I normally use for prettyfying stocks on old military rifles.

Clutch

Beeswax works great to rub out an oil finished stock. I like to cut it with lemon or orange oil or olive oil.

I just heat the bee's wax in a double boiler. One tin can with water in it and a small one inside that one to put the bee's wax in. After you melt the wax pour in what flavor and amount you want.

If you have an old small cast iron skillet, not one of your good ones heat it up on the stove and melt about 1/4 bar of bees wax in it and add a small amount of whatever oil that you want to cut it with. Let it cool and when it hardens try to rub some of it on a soft cloth. If it is too hard, simply heat it up and add more oil until the cooled product is about the consistency of car wax. it is now ready to use. You can also reheat it and put it on fairly warm and rub it in. works great on gun stocks,boots, walking sticks, leather etc.

I've had very good success with using beeswax as a wood finish without cutting it with anything. I've used it on several wooden self bows, which can be quite finicky about moisture getting into the wood. Its about the easiest thing you'll ever do. Use a heat gun or a hair drier and melt the stuff into the wood. Rub it in and let the warm wood soak up as much of it as possible. Then burnish the surface with deer antler or something hard, smooth, and round. That's it. I've heard some complain that it never dries for them and always remains somewhat tacky. I've never had that problem but I live in a low humidity area. I've never used it on a gunstock, but it should be dandy for protecting a finished barrel channel.

Sean

Thanks again for the advice :thumbsup: Asking questions on this forum beats trying to look for the answers in a book. Can't beat good advice from those who have experience and willing to share information :grin:

Pa Hunter said:
Beeswax works great to rub out an oil finished stock. I like to cut it with lemon or orange oil or olive oil.

How long does it take to dry after it's applied?

It doesn't exactly dry,you work it in well with a soft cloth and buff it out with another. It will make the wood look great and feel very supple. Try it and you will like it.

I put some Beeswax/Oil mixture on my finished oiled stock and am plesed with the results.I must not have mixed enough oil cause I found as large amount elbow greese had to be use to Rub and Buff the wax.Looks good though.

I used it to seal the plug end of a cheapo powder horn, shes airtight now.

Also good for waxing your bowstring if you also partake in the archery.

Heck, Ive even chewed on it when I ran out of copenhagen.....nasty habit.

Back