• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Becoming Lactose Intolerant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ovaltine was very popular in the 1950's. Sort of hard to find now. A variation on hot cocoa/chocolate milk only with less milk. Not quite like yoohoo chocolate drink.

As for milk tolerance. I could live on it. But not skim, or 2 % might as well drink water. The higher the butterfat the better. When I was a kid and thrrough college we lived near a guernsey dairy. Milk so rich in butterfat it was light yellowish. Even better, my ex-inlaws had a Jersey cow and always had big pitchers of cold raw milk in the frig. It may be hard for city folk to imagine milk with lumps of butterfat in it, but it beat the taste of store bought milk by miles. Now I have a Jersey cow, and though we don't use much milk, I still milk her every couple weeks (a calf is almost always on her) IIRC the milk runs about 18% butterfat. Store bought milk is rarely 4% for whole milk. Mrs. and I go through a couple pounds of cheese a week, and lots of real ice cream. Fortunately, my cholesterol is still low (around 80)

Alden said:
What the heck is Ovaltine? I'll have to look it up -- sounds awful.

Ovaltine is like a chocolate milk mix, just add 4 or 5 tablespoons to a glass of milk, it has a better and more richer taste than plain chocolate milk mix. I also can find it in any grocery store down here.

"Ovaltine (Ovomaltine) is a brand of milk flavoring product made with malt extract, sugar, and whey."

Oh YUMMY! Heard of it, yeah, OK. "More Ovaltine Ma, please!" But then I've heard of Vegamite too. Never had nor seen either I don't think.

Here abouts it was Nestle's Quick and Hershey's or maybe Bosco syrup.

Alden, I was very sick a number of years ago and required antibiotics. When the dust settled I found I was lactose intolerant. Gas pains and diarrhea were the immediate consequences of partaking of milk products. Lactaid pills and lactose free milk were a big help. With time I was able to reintroduce regular milk to my diet and my body began producing lactase again. It took a while but now I am able to partake with no fear of side effects.

Interesting, thanks. I put it to the test a couple of nights ago... I won't intentionally go through that gaseous overnight ordeal ever again. Wow! Anyone want a box of Kashi Island Vanilla mini-wheats?

Of corse ya all don't needs ta put milk on grits :rotf: Be sides that most hot cereals are real good on the trail with just a tab of butter. Cereals like shredded wheat, grape nuts,muslex or any type of gronola can just be put in hot water then drained with butter some sort of sweetener or just plane and it's very tasty.

Yes -- filled the bottom of a paper bowl with Island Vanilla Kashi mini-wheats for a snack and had none of the very significant issues I did when I had cereal with milk.

Ovaltine was a staple in our house in the fifties and up until we got to be teenagers. Found some awhile back and its not nearly as good as I remembered.

I don't eat breakfast anymore as I am on a intermittent fasting diet but I make sure to have a little milk two or three times a week. So far (I am 70) there are no signs of becoming lactose intolerant. I was not aware of the aging processing being involved in that so I learned something today.

I would starve to death if I didn't have my 6 slices of bacon, 2 scrambled eggs and a tall glass of Olavltine every morning. That's winter food, summer food is cereal and milk (about 4 bowls). Btw, you have to put in about 4 heaping scoops of Ovaltine to make it taste good.

As I said, I would. Whole milk is only 3% milkfat and water... And drinking it I can't really tell the difference. Skim milk, 1%, I surely can tell and can't drink it. I think Half-n-Half is 10% or so and I HAVE wet cold cereal with that before as well...

Back