• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Becoming Lactose Intolerant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what it actually means but does one "become" lactose intolerant? I like cold cereal and once every year or so I get some. I'd noticed in the past it started not to agree with me I presume from the (2%) milk and the gas I got from it today...

Well, let's just say that the cramps alone were quite uncomfortable, and that for their own safety I rolled the gates closed at Home Depot so no-one would co-locate with me down my aisle. OMG!!!

Anyone else experiencing this especially afield where cold cereal may be convenient and dairy common but, ironically, privacy is at a premium!?

Many of European descent lose the ability to metabolize lactose as they get older.

Lactose tolerance is a mutation that probably started in Europe. Most humans, and indeed most mammals, lose the means to digest milk easily by the time they are adults.

However, if one stops consuming milk for long enough, the body will stop producing Lactase, and thus will stop tolerating milk.

Almond or Almond/Coconut milk is what I use those few times a year I eat cereal. Found Soy milk had the same effect as cow milk when I tried it.

I'm OK with ice cream as far as I know and the same problems don't seem to translate to cheese though and many, if not most, of us bring hunks of assorted cheeses with us in our haversacks. Am I wrong!?

Someone should repost my video link so alden can see it. He can't see my posts. Because the sugars in milk are eaten by the bacteria during the cheese making prosess

Alden said:
I'm OK with ice cream as far as I know and the same problems don't seem to translate to cheese...

I am OK with yogurt, cheese, butter and smaller quantities of ice cream. The "cream" part isn't the problem (primarily fat), it's the milk component that may give me problems.

With yogurt, the lactose has been (mostly) broken down in the process. Butter is made from the cream portion of milk, which as mentioned above, is fat not milk. With cheese, the milk has been processed, and may/may not be a problem

Figure out what bothers your system and try to avoid it.

Thanks -- seems to be just too much milk as problematic.

They, doctors, used to associate milk for adults with contributing to diabetes -- as suggested humans probably weren't supposed to drink milk past early childhood. But cheese, butter, and cream would seem so crucial to historic period foods I can't see getting away from them.

It is interesting how we develop some food sensitivities as we age. I grew up eating peanut butter sandwiches and now have a mild allergy to peanuts. Peanut butter especially will give me nausea and aches.

Not denying it is possible but some of these things are a bit trendy.....lactose, gluten etc.

In a culture that eats pounds of sugar aday, oil, fast food, xxxxl coffees, chemical laden meats, chemical laden veg, processed everything does not exercise, sits 10 hours a day and does eat anything healthy I fail to see how anything diet wise can be diagnosed.

Cramps and farts? I suffer like the dickens the minute I eat meat from the grocery. I mean suffer. Am I meat intolerant? Drink a boughten coffee or eat an AW teen burger and look out. Am I spending intolerant? Go a day with out homemade bread and ouch. Am I Yeast dependent? etc etc

Literally 99% of our physical troubles comes from eating like a bunch of slaves/idiots. THink I am exagerating? yesterday the news reported 50% of Americans are diabetic or pre diabetic! Funny that a population afraid of cows milk, wheat and anything that looks like it was once alive has no trouble with poison LOL.

Not saying lactose tolerance is not an issue to someone somewhere but in the stew of swill that is consumed in modern NA it has to be pretty low on the real issue list.

Oh yeah if ya like cereal and can't do milk then make yogurt in the carton and use that instead. Takes no time to do and tastes better.

Lactose intolerance is a well-documented phenomenon and the mechanism by which it happens is known. It is related to where a particular culture developed and the availability of milk in the diet.

Sensitivities to various allergens can and do develop over time due to multiple exposures through diet. Just because you don't have a reaction now doesn't mean it won't/can't happen in the future.

I agree that some things are trendy, but I don't avoid gluten or lactose as I can eat both with no problems. Now, peanut butter is a different deal. I can stand some peanuts and have not had reactions to things cooked in peanut oil as far as I know. I just avoid them at this point rather than go through the discomfort. I eat most everything else except I don't care for butterscotch. You keep the butter scotch pudding.

Medications you are taking may be causing the problem.
I thought I was becoming lactose intolerant until I explained to my doctor what was happening.
I was having gas and bloating daily except for the weekends when I skipped my Metformin.
He took me off Metformin (for diabetes) and many of the problems I was having stopped.
Something to consider.

Swede, half the people here get and follow me like Jim Jones, the next half of the people think I should be on meds, and the last half think I must have gone off them. Truth is...

...I take nothing but the occasional multivitamin, Advil, and this time of year a few cheap antihistamines once in a while for a coupla weeks.

I have milk an cereal almost every morning, if I don't then its bacon an eggs with a big glass of Ovaltine. What do ya'll guys have for breakfast?.

What the heck is Ovaltine? I'll have to look it up -- sounds awful!

I insist my redheaded stepchild has instant grits every day but don't partake myself.

Back