• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear grease!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golfswithwolves

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a pleasant surprise over the weekend- a friend who had shot a black bear presented me with about a liter of bear grease he had rendered. :) So now I can try the old original; if I had any hair I could use it to grease that too! I have been cautioned that the grease has a distinct aroma. I will be sure to re-boil it in water to be sure all of the salt is out, then bottle small ammounts at a time for use.

ill be sure to re-boil it in water to be sure all of the salt is out, then bottle small ammounts at a timeI w for use.[/quote]

This is new to me.I have some Bear grease and was wondering the whys and wherefores of this process......

That's about all I know, to heat it up good in water so the salt in the grease goes into the water. Then skim off the floating grease. Maybe repeat to make sure, as you don't want to put salt on your guns.

why is there salt on it? was it left over off the hide? I just cut off fat after skinning the bear and put in to dub then render on the stove as soon as I can there should be no bad smell at all if it has not started to go rank then I but it in to jars for gun rub down of steel and as patch lube the rest I use same way as lard best there is for apple pie crust very sweet some I put in to plastic bag and put behind the wood stove out in the fur shed and let it go bad for wolf trapping during the winter

saber said:
why is there salt on it? was it left over off the hide?
There is a natural salt (so I've been told) in the fat, meat, etc. I heat my fat up in clean water, let it cool and solidify, then lift out and replenish the water. I don't know if all this is necessary or not, but it certainly can't hurt.

Latest posts

Back