• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear grease?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just make sure its clean fat, no blood or meat in it when you render it.

Spring hunt can't come fast enough, gave so much away my supply is looking pretty sad atm lol.

I've used nothing but bear grease for 5 years now, I usta swear by T/C bore butter unil I was at a shoot in Montana and I had to swab 3 & 4 times after every shot just to reload. Rowdy gave me some B'ar grease to try and I haven't had a problem since. Don't know what happened to the bore butter :confused:

I had about 15 pounds of fat. Wound up with about 4 pints of clear oil, some crisco, some cracklins, and some that got pitched cause it went bad and stunk. Guess I must have got some blood and fat into it. The crisco smells OK, still weeps oil. The oil has little or no odor. I will use the crisco for patch lube and leather dressing, the oil for gun care. BTW, I seem to recall that on the web and the going rate for OIL is 5-7.00 dollars an oz! If so, I have enough oil to put a good dent into a custom if I decide to go that route!

Well Swamp Rat, it seems that we may be sitting on liquid gold! 20 dollars an ounce!! I may as well have 20 dollar bills sitting in jars on my mantle!!!!

I just opened a container of bear oil that I rendered in 2001. What little odor I can detect smells like vegatable oil. I haven't opened that container in years since I made so much lube I haven't needed to. It hasn't been refridgerated or even kept cool.
I use the beeswax/bear oil mix also. I don't know the ratio. I just add beeswax, let it cool, rub it betwwen my fingers, and add more beeswax if it needs to be thicker. Probably ends up to be about 50/50. Best lube I ever used, but it may just be a pshycological thing. Whatever works, right? Bill

I know one site that sells bear oil for $7.00 an ounce and have seen another that sells bear grease for $16.00 a pint.

I would have thought that bear oil/grease might be illegal to sell. I know the state of WI has specific language to the selling of bear parts because of the gall bladders and black market. I was going to comb through our regs and see what the wording might be. I usually have a couple friends that shoot a bear every fall and it would be pretty easy for me to get ahold of quite a bit of it. But if I couldn't sell it, I can only use so much....

msalm, " But if I couldn't sell it, I can only use so much...."""""" :hmm: could give it away...fer a donation???? pretty good stuff! jes a thought,,, like....free,jus pay shipping and handling.. RC

gees! I'll vouch fer that! i hope my lil sister is happy in rhode island! (it really is good stuff!HI SIS! RC

Actually I was thinking more of a barter or trade, but still that's a loophole. I don't mind at all giving it away to people that would appreciate it, I've been on the receiving end of a great amount of kindness from other folks that knew I would appreciate what they gave me, and I enjoy paying that back to others.

Very recently I bought a rifling machine (sine bar) from a gentleman in KY, and along with the rifling heads, a few ramrod drills, and a shotgun bore reamer, he gave me the majority of his library on longrifles to include the book by Dillin (autographed even!) and a few of the longrifle series.... I deeply appreciated those gifts, and have read all of them several times in the last month. Hopefully I will be able to repay that kindness...if not to him, others.

I guess I really worded that post incorrectly, and if given the chance I certainly will render out all the bear fat I can get my hands on...maybe this fall I'll be posting that I need to get rid of a few gallons, and the board members are more than welcome to it!

I know I am probably treading on thin ice here, but are there really federales hiding in the woodwork, waiting to pounce on the first guy that slips up selling a product that most people would throw out in the garbage with the rest of the scraps, bones, etc? I mean, we are not talking about bear penis or gall bladders from illegally poached bears for the Asian aphrodisiac trade. We are talking about a by-product from processing lawfully taken game! Not that I am thinking of selling it...as Swamp Rat says, it is a valuable commodity on the trade blanket. But, on the other hand, what is the difference between swapping a pint for powder horn, or selling the oil to the man and then handing his cash right back in exchange for the horn?

That's more in line with my thinking also...I feel better just giving it away to friends.

exchange "presents! :winking: happy birthday!,merry xmas! valentines day..(fer those who LOVE black powder!

I would say that you have to be very careful when it comes to selling anything involving parts of game animals. There are federal laws and each state has laws that apply. Look 'em up or ask somebody that knows before taking a chance. Here is an example of just one paragraph of the many laws listed for NC:

Special Provisions for Sale: As stated above, the North Carolina Administrative Code also contains provisions pertinent to the sale of wildlife. 15A NCAC 10B .0118 "Sale of Wildlife" contains the following provisions:

The sale of game birds and game animals or parts is prohibited, except that processed products of lawfully taken game birds and animals other than those made from edible portions may be sold provided that no label or advertisement identifies the product as a game bird, game animal, or part thereof and provided further that the game bird or game animal was lawfully acquired and the product is not readily identifiable as a game bird or game animal or part thereof.

The sale of edible portions or products of game birds and game animals is prohibited, except as may otherwise be provided (see preceding paragraph). :hmm:

With All Due Respect to others who have commented, Bear Oil is not a " part " of a bear. It has to be processed from the bear's fat to exist. It is therefore an exception that is recognized by that statute and the Federal Act as well. Now, if you want ot sell bear claws,skulls, or raw hides, I think you run into problems.

Hope that helps understand the restrictions.

Latest posts

Back