• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bean Pots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being spring I should add that, growing your own beans is simple and easy....Just plant the same beans that you would cook.
I've been growing my own for years....
The beans do best if they have something to climb on.....once the pods are dry on the vine, pick them, shell them and spread out on a flat surface to dry for a while....Then place in mason jars to keep..

The beans can also be eaten green and young.

Baked beans are classic picnic fare.....

In England they are a breakfast food.

I have to admit that I was a bit taken aback when I first had them for breakfast, and it wasn't with an English breakfast. It was camping, and when the campfire was done so the lads in the scout troop had gone to their tents, the scoutmaster dug a hole, and put a layer of smoldering coals from the fire into it. Then in went the beans in a lidded pot, coals were then placed around the side, and on top, and then he buried it. The next morning we had beans-in-a-hole.

LD

colorado clyde said:
Beans on toast is actually quite tasty....
With Cheeese :)

Making some New England Style Baked beans now.
Soaked/cooked Great White Canadian Beans. Put the rest of the ingredients in this morning in a 6L crock pot.
Once cooked I place in mason jars.

P1110410_BakedBeans-1500_zpsnafjkzh8.jpg

P1110411_BakedBeans-1500_zpsugyulkrb.jpg

P1110413_BakedBeans-1500_zpsdvotfeo5.jpg

My mother grew up in rural RI inthe 1930s. Her mother passed away when my mother was seven. So her dad did the cooking. He was very regimented. On Friday they made a big pot of navy beans'. White beans cooked with just onion salt pork and pepper. The next day the left overs went in a bean pot, with mustard molasses and was baked. Sunday the left overs were smashed and fried 'norte refritos' then served on toasted bread for Sunday breakfast.
A pot roast was put on Monday, and leftovers made in to an hash on Tuesday. Mid week was when they ate seasonal foods.

BullRunBear said:
Question: can I use a cast iron dutch oven to make New England baked beans in the oven? I don't have an appropriate clay bean pot. Any advantage of cast iron over clay or vice versa?

The idea of making a pot of beans on a cold autumn or winter day is VERY appealing.

Jeff

As stated before I got around to this post you can bury a cast iron pot of beans, many recipes on the internet. I never have done this, but I've cooked them above ground in cast iron. Doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer!

Does your Dutch oven have legs and a rim on the lid? If so it is perfect for outdoors and would be a pain in an oven (the legs catch).

If your Dutch oven is smooth on the bottom use it indoors or bury it!!

Dragonsfire said:
Put the rest of the ingredients in this morning in a 6L crock pot.
Reading this thread raised a question I've wondered about before...can you use a crockpot as a small, low temperature oven? I decided to try a batch of baked beans to find out. Mixed up a recipe of our standard baked beans, not Boston baked beans, more like barbeque beans. I put them in a small stoneware bean pot without its lid, put that into the empty crockpot with its lid, set it on high and baked it until the beans dried out. It took six hours.

Yes, you can use a crockpot as a small, low-temperature oven to make good baked beans. If you are in no hurry. :wink:

Spence

Does your Dutch oven have legs and a rim on the lid? If so it is perfect for outdoors and would be a pain in an oven (the legs catch).

You can use a flat bottomed dome top Dutch oven with coals too if you know how....I don't let the lack of legs or a rimmed lid prevent me from cooking with coals.... :wink:

They do? I've never had a problem.

colorado clyde said:
You can use a flat bottomed dome top Dutch oven with coals too if you know how....I don't let the lack of legs or a rimmed lid prevent me from cooking with coals,,
I've never had a problem with that either.

I guess I should re-think my dutch oven cooking,, I never knew legs or not made a difference where or how I use'm :idunno:
Used in a modern oven and/or wood fire an coals??
Heck ya that makes a difference,, but my cast iron doesn't know that,, I guess you could call me bi-cast,, My iron works both ways.

Yeah, the Dutch Oven legs-in-the-Modern-oven is a problem of rack bars spacing..., catches you off guard when it happens the first time. :redface:

I've an iron pot with a domed lid that works as an 18th century Dutch Oven. I'm told that this was actually a cast iron Bean Pot and the link seems to confirm that some folks used them as such. The link says put a couple of bricks under them to use them for hearth cooking..., I use a folding trivet that's stored inside the pot when not in use. :wink:

However, here is a good link to all sort of primary sources for iron kettles, bronze kettles, sheet kettles, and Dutch Ovens ..., and it appears that the rim on the edge of the lid was known in the 18th century, possibly as early as the AWI. Although the trade card date 1765 shows a domed DO without a lip...,

LD

Legs on a DO is a simple problem in a modern oven. Set the DO on a cookie sheet, or a pizza pan, problem solved.

Was pricing some DO yesterday, over $200, that's ridiculous.
Will be setting up fire pit in a month or so and then can do a proper outdoor oven :)
Crocked died after 25years, had to continue in my rice cooker.
Jared up now.

P1110418_BakedBeans-1000_zpsfjuddnjg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No lol, Canadian tire. They do also have a "Woods" Dutch Oven for $50, dont know why the price difference.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven/dp/B001TS6N44/ref=sr_1_12?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1495337214&sr=1-12&keywords=Dutch+Oven

Especially Salvation Army Stores. = I recently paid 11.00 (plus tax) for THREE nice cast iron skillets & one has a "lipped" lid.

yours, satx

Back