• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bean Pots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BIG Goodwill Store near McNeil Drive & Research Blvd in Austin had a very large Dutch oven (I'm guessing about 18-20 inches across) with feet for sale at 35.oo, as late as last Friday.

At least here in South TX, old cast iron pieces frequently end up for sale in thrift stores & for cheap, too.

yours, satx

That's about the price of a new "Camp Chef" dutch oven....also what I paid for my large one.....

I like really big dutch ovens for baking....cause you can put baking pans in them on a trivet and they act just like a real oven.

colorado clyde said:
...cause you can put baking pans in them on a trivet and they act just like a real oven.
I do the same in a 12" oven - 3 pebbles to hold up the pie pan. Works great for biscuits.

Dutch oven cooking heat (and distribution) is more easily controlled with briquettes. Coals are far less predictable, though the old hold you hand near the heat and count seconds to determine approximate temperature works fairly well.

Dragonsfire said:
Will be on the lookout
I bought an enameled dutch oven at Target when they went on sale. Regardless, it works well, though I suspect the enamel isn't as tough as the high-end pots. I chipped the coating while washing in the sink, but it was on the handle where it didn't matter.

I prefer the "old school" American-made DO, given the choice.

Me too, and I have four sizes, two of which are iron pots that I have learned to use as DO's..., plus one cast iron pot that works when I rest a steel skillet inside the edge of the rim, and fill the skillet with coals... sorta Jerry-rigged.

I confess that I want a 12" Bedourie Oven, for Father's Day, to do some experiments, as they were what Australia developed from the iron Dutch Oven.

LD

American made cast iron cookware would likely be historically inaccurate until the later 19th century.
Most if not all was imported prior to that..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cast-iron_cookware_manufacturers

I'm all for buying American....But buying an old Griswold at a garage sale doesn't benefit an American worker either...

Cast iron is experiencing a resurgence in popularity...Hopefully that will make more brands and styles easily available.

Last edited by a moderator:
colorado clyde said:
American made cast iron cookware would likely be historically inaccurate until the later 19th century.
Most if not all was imported prior to that..
The Pennsylvania Journal
May 8, 1776

“Manufactured at Batsto Furnace.
In West-New Jersey, and to be Sold either at the works or by the Subscriber, in Philadelphia. A Great variety of iron pots, kettles, Dutch ovens, and oval fish kettles, either with or without covers, skillets of different sizes, being much lighter, neater and superior in quality to any imported from Great Britain-Potash and other large kettles, from 30 to 125 gallons: sugar-mill gudgeons, neatly rounded and polished at the ends; grating bars of different lengths, grist-mill rounds: weights of all sizes from 7 lb. to 56 lb.: Fullers plates: open and closed stoves of different sizes, rag-wheel irons for saw-mills, pestles and mortars: sash-weights, and forge hammers of the best quality...Also, Batsto Pig iron as usual, the quality of which is too well known to need any recommendation.
John Cox”

Spence

colorado clyde said:
Now find me an import quote... :wink:
Those are easy.

THE SOUTH CAROLINA AND AMERICAN GENERAL GAZETTE
November 27, 1769
WILLIAM GREAVES,
Hath just opened a large ASSORTMENT of GOODS, imported to the last Vessels from GREAT BRITAIN, Consisting of a large Assortment of Ironmongery, ”¦. bright iron and copper tea kettles, fish ditto, copper stew pans, grid irons, cast iron Dutch ovens brass and iron chaffing dishes,

THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAZETTE; AND COUNTRY JOURNAL
May 8, 1770
CHARLES-TOWN
JUST IMPORTED, in the Brig Prince of Wales, Thomas Mason, Master, from Philadelphia, and to be SOLD by the Subscriber at his Store lately occupied by Messrs. Harleston & Bonneau, at the Corner of Elliott-street, on the Bay;”¦ sundry sorts of cast iron, consisting of wash kettles, large and small pots, baking irons, sash weights, tea kettles, mortars and pestles, large and small, Dutch ovens , with rim'd covers & c. all of the best cast iron; earthen ware consisting of milk pans, large and small jugs,

Spence

I love the bean pot in a slow cooker idea. I can do this outside in the summer, when I do not want to run the oven for 6-12 hours.

If you try it, be aware of the possibility there is a heating element in the bottom of your cooker. There is in mine, and setting my bean pot directly on the bottom of the cooker caused a little scorching and hard beans at the bottom of the pot.

I'm toying with the idea of a batch baked in a 2-quart, three legged, cast Iron kettle I have. Too big for the slow cooker, will have to do that one in the regular oven, if it ever happens.

Spence

George said:
If you try it, be aware of the possibility there is a heating element in the bottom of your cooker. There is in mine, and setting my bean pot directly on the bottom of the cooker caused a little scorching and hard beans at the bottom of the pot.
Could you add some water and a small trivet (upside down plate?) to the crockpot?

Back