• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bead work on a rifle case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I was watching a re-run of "The Searchers" the other week, and I was noticing John Wayne's rifle case. Lots of bead work on it, and it looked pretty attractive.

Has anyone done that? I have no idea how long or hard it is to do, but it can't be longer than it takes to build a whole rifle up from a blank!

I have done several over the years although I have no pictures of the full beaded style only some that are partially beaded ones.

Dependent on the size beads used, the amount of beadwork done, the style of beadwork (lane stitch or appliqué stitch) it can take anywhere from 40-200 hours or so for total construction. Beading is VERY labor intensive.

here's a couple I've done in the last 3 years:

This first one took about 70 hours all together - the beading probably about 60 hours
rifle-gear-2010-johnson_04.jpg

this one took a bit longer - about 125 hours overall and the beading about 110 hours:
rifle-case-rogers-2013-lg.jpg

Both of these used the larger, early 8/0 pound beads (approximate size 3/32-1/8")which cover area bit faster than the smaller bead seads, which range in size from 10/0 (about 1/16") to 20/0 (VERY tiny) such as used on the Duke's rifle case which is an original from the late 1800's - most of the cases from that period use 12-16/0 beads.
This site http://www.nativetech.org/glasbead/glasbead.html
offers the basics and describes the different methods

so yes such beadwork can take as long or even longer than building a rifle dependent on the various factors.

While I'm not the fastest bead worker in the world after 50 years of doing it I'm somewhere above the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did one, with a shooting to match. Results were certainly "rustic." So rustic in fact, that you haven't seen any pics on here! :rotf:

I've beaded a number of things, and I learned one important lesson: Do a few trial pieces before you try it on the real thing you want to wear or use. There's a steep learning curve, but thankfully fairly short before you turn out results that you can live with. But man.... That first effort isn't likely something you're going to want to live with on your gear! :redface:

LaBonte is DA MAN on beading, in my book.

Wow that second is wicket cool. Would be proud to carry that case I ain't a mountain man.

PS I forgot to mention the first one way nice.

Thanks for the clarification. Outstanding!

Why is it that these cases seem to be made with the butts hanging out, rather than full cases? Were they just intended to cover the locks and metal parts, rather than to protect the whole gun like we do now when traveling in a car?

Probably felt the need to get at them a little quicker than we do packing them in a car in today's world.

As for me packing mine in my truck, I just wrap the butt in a towel.

Col. Batguano said:
Why is it that these cases seem to be made with the butts hanging out, rather than full cases? Were they just intended to cover the locks and metal parts, rather than to protect the whole gun like we do now when traveling in a car?

On originals some covered the whole gun and others left part of the butt stock showing.
In this case I did not have the guns that were to be used with these cases on hand and used my original Potsdam musket which was been cut down back in the 1800's for running buffalo for the photos. The plywood patterns I used for sizing the cases wouldn't have looked so good. :grin:

As Brownbear noted above it's a good idea to practice on scrap (a lot of original Indian work was beaded on pieces of scrap sewn together). When I've not done beadwork for a while I usually do some practice pieces first to get back into the swing of things. While a lot of todays beadwork is almost perfect, older work from the 1800's is not (not all beaders were good beaders either) so I also browse through my database of thousands of originals to help get my mindset "right" even when I make up my own patterns rather than make a copy of a particular original. IMO one of the best learning processes is to copy originals until you can get an eye for what looks good. It's also helpful to look at originals in museums when possible just like it is for making guns. I have had the good luck and privilege to be able to examine many originals in two large private collections and while pictures are nice seeing the real thing in person gives one the perspective of seeing nuances that one cannot always get from images alone.

thank you gents for the kind comments and I present these to perhaps offer others the incentive to do it themselves. The good lord gave me a skill set, but it still takes doing it and IMO nothing I do or others do can't be done by others with time and practice especially when you find your muse.

heres one Miss Tudy did a while back. Made for a Sharpes. Took 2 elk hides and come complete with a cartridge pocket and scope cover..
mike1.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Heres another that she made for the guys employee
100_1287.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Col. Batguano said:
Thanks for the clarification. Outstanding!

As John Wayne did in the movies the gun could be carried by the wrist, lock and barrel covered buta quik throw uncovers it...and looks impressive too.
I have one coppied from the cover of 'Crow Bead work" done in # 8 beads and red wool. Its on yellow chrome tan deer. so It dosnt get a lot of use these days :haha: Keep in mind beads is heavy. Ifn you throw a beaded snow cover at an injunn yous dont even gots ta shoot 'em

Col. Batguano said:
Why is it that these cases seem to be made with the butts hanging out, rather than full cases?
The full case we use now for the most part are modern adaptations to comply with vehicle carry laws.
I always figured the open end case to be simply for protecting the rifle finish and yet leave it readily available to use.

Outstanding work !

Many People do not fully appreciate the time involved in Projects such as these. I used to make and sell various Leather Hunting Accessories to pay for my Shooting. I spent 54 hours on a Tooled Back Quiver with Snake Skin Inlays and people thought I was a thief asking $240 for it. There was $80 worth of Leather, worked out I made $3 an hour Profit.

I bought a Book "Plains Indian Knife Sheaths, materials construction and design" by Alex Kozlow to teach myself how to Bead, haven't learned yet but these Gun Cases have peaked my interest again

Again outstanding work, thanks for sharing.

regards Jacko

For anyone interested in beading as well as the nativetech.org site noted above you can get a free download of William Orchard's book "Beads and beadwork of the American Indians" in various formats including PDF: https://archive.org/details/beadsbeadworkofa00orch

Jacko - Koslov's book is an excellent resource.

tenngun noted above about weight and he's right - lots of beadwork can add a bunch of weight -
The beading on a case like this Nez Perce one from the 1890's will add about 7-10 pounds dependent on bead size. This one is of course a very fancy parade/Weld West show type and not an every day/go hunting case.

ANDYWARHOLCOLLECTIONguncase.jpg

Also some of those beautiful women's beaded dresses, like the ones link to below, can weigh 35-40 pounds.
http://www.littlecrowtradingpost.com/buckskin_christy.jpg
http://1ynsm7483ffp2lc5j5rs4bu13mm...uploads/nativeamericanbeadedbuckskindress.png
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s09cJkui...BiM/iaP5Pk53hXs/s1600/SicanguLakota2H1870.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadd's!
I was at a local Pow-wow and a youth dancer had on a beautifully beaded Elk hide gown,
I commented how beautiful it was and knowing that glass weighs a lot, I said
"I'll bet it's pretty heavy"
Her mother responded,
"It weighs 53 pounds!"
She took 1st in her class and did receive a very handsome reward.

Grumpa said:
"Museum" quality work. Quite beautiful.
That is an interesting looking 'hawk in the second picture. Any info on it?
It's a variant spontoon (French) style pipehawk based on an original - here's a closeup of the head and upper handle
9-roses-bird-hawk-2-5.jpg

it was a collaborative effort: The blade and bowl were forged for me by smith Jerry Rodri and I did all the assembly, handle with brass wrap and cap, beadwork, and aging

an overall view with it's companion pipebag and fire striker also forged by Jerry
9-roses-bird-hawk-5-5.jpg

These are just too cool.

So is this sort of thing mostly a western plains sort of thing, or was it done in the eastern woodlands too? I imagine they used porcupine quills and bones too.

I have a moose hide at home. Is that too heavy, or, should I get some elk or deer to do it on.

Col. Batguano said:
I have a moose hide at home. Is that too heavy, or, should I get some elk or deer to do it on.

Probably a matter of personal taste, but I made both mine from elk- only because I didn't have any moose at the time. I'd much rather have them made from the heavier moose.

Back