• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Be careful with Black Powder...You never know!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On page 228 of the great book "Savage Kingdom"and I quote:
"Captain John Smith, rowed back to Jamestowne with his small company of men. That night, he decided to sleep on board the boat. As he lay on the deck, an autumn dew collection on the tarpaulin pulled over the shoulders, his gunpowder bag, which was slung from his belt, and lay in his lap, somehow ignited. The resulting explosion tore Smith's flesh 'from his body and thighs....in a most pitiful manner', removing a section of his midriff 'nine or ten inches square' including his genitals. To quench the
'tormenting fire frying him in his clothes', he threw himself overboard into the river, nearly drowning as his men struggled to pull him back into the boat.
'In this state, without either surgeon, or surgery he was to go near 60 miles' downriver reaching Jamestowne."

You see fellas...even back in the day sh_ _ can happen! Be careful!!

I am thinking. Rowing back 60 miles without an outboard motor....I almost cry when I burn my hand on a skillet! And a 2 month sea voyage? Tough son of a gun...he almost met his doom earlier when the Indians had him tied up and were beating his head against a large rock when Pocahontas saved him! I think he was 27 at the time.

On page 228 of the great book "Savage Kingdom"and I quote:
"Captain John Smith, rowed back to Jamestowne with his small company of men. That night, he decided to sleep on board the boat. As he lay on the deck, an autumn dew collection on the tarpaulin pulled over the shoulders, his gunpowder bag, which was slung from his belt, and lay in his lap, somehow ignited. The resulting explosion tore Smith's flesh 'from his body and thighs....in a most pitiful manner', removing a section of his midriff 'nine or ten inches square' including his genitals. To quench the
'tormenting fire frying him in his clothes', he threw himself overboard into the river, nearly drowning as his men struggled to pull him back into the boat.
'In this state, without either surgeon, or surgery he was to go near 60 miles' downriver reaching Jamestowne."

You see fellas...even back in the day sh_ _ can happen! Be careful!!
Sounds to me like the rest of 'em had had just about enough of him, the way I read sign.

Smith survived this injury and did indeed return to England -- and lived another 22 years. His life story is simply astonishing.

https://www.nps.gov/jame/learn/hist... become a very,and sold into Turkish slavery.
Bill you are correct...Captain John Smith was an amazing individual who I believe was the only one at that time who spoke Powhatan and saved the fort inhabitants from starvation many times over. His explorations and mapping were incredible. A real stand out in American history...!

Bill you are correct...Smith was an amazing individual who I believe was the only one at that time who spoke Powhatan and saved the fort inhabitants from starvation many times over. His explorations and mapping were incredible. A real stand out in American history...!
He is certainly impressive, but a lot of his biography is that John Smith is incredible... according to John Smith... particularly for his escapades before visiting America.

Static electricity and nylon clothing are the worst enemy when carrying or using black powder .
Feltwad
Please stop spreading myths ... the tests conducted here conclude that static electricity cannot cause black powdah to ignite ...

92B0C59F-1FA7-4ACC-A0C6-0A8F87DBEFC0.jpeg

8DA575A1-272D-4A47-8990-75FB95E51A6E.jpeg

https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Latest posts

Back