• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bayonets for 1777 Short Land Bess - Way to Identify proper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradBrownBess

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Bayonet for an original 42" barrel Brown Bess Short Land Pattern.

All my reference books do not make a lot of mention or identification methods for Bayonets.
To me I can see to obvious differences from earlier model Bayonets up to the Short Land Bess.

After that - the Short Land and India Pattern to me look identical.

Is there any ordinance markings or maker markings to look for?
**I know even if I find a correct model the chance of a fit might not be there - makes the challenge more difficult - but I am determined!

Also:
This is an interesting gun in that the stock looks to be possibly from an earlier pre 1770 Long Land.
The heft, thickness, profile etc. The Barrel is 42" original - never been cut down.
Has a Pratt RamRod channel and Proper Short Land lock - post style cock instead of the thinner leaf of earlier Bess models - proper carved Crown over GR, Tower marked, broad arrow (not a Liege).
Barrel is marked (light but legible - West Kent Militia - original proof marks Birmigham maker. Several examinations of the gun by many have guessed that it began life as a Long Land - then saw "upgrades" in its life.
Before ending up back in the UK around 1780 - to early 1800's and began service as a Militia gun. Of course also was put together as a Short Land using an earlier "never used" stock that was on hand.

After 1769 bayonets were level with the muzzle. Prior to 1777 Land Pattern Musket Bayonets were about 1/4 an inch below the muzzle. The main problem I’ve seen With identifying original bayonets is that they’re often altered over time to fit other guns, so finding one unaltered in its original state with its intended musket is tough and rare.

After 1769 bayonets were level with the muzzle. Prior to 1777 Land Pattern Musket Bayonets were about 1/4 an inch below the muzzle. The main problem I’ve seen With identifying original bayonets is that they’re often altered over time to fit other guns, so finding one unaltered in its original state with its intended musket is tough and rare.

I cannot make out the Maker Mark on this one and do not have the Goldstein book. My other books and Google searches have not proved fruitful. The measurements are correct for the Bayonet - lug channel is correct - shows ancient file marks in the lug channel (very worn and faint) - also shows four //// marks from original build- it actually was on a 2nd model bess but got separated long ago by owner. The bess got sold eventually.

Without actually trying it on the barrel of my gun wont know if its a fit but measurements are about dead on. Also looks to not be altered from stock fitting late 1700's.

*****Just trying to tell if its truly a 2nd or 3rd model Bess Bayonet. Because of price! - 3rd models can be had on ebay or at a gun show for 150 - 200. 2nd models are twice that or more - especially if regimentally marked - this one is not reg marked.

If anyone knows the maker mark or can tell from photos - much, much appreciation!!

Attachments

• Bess Bayo 2.JPG
    Bess Bayo 2.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Bess Bayo 3.JPG
    Bess Bayo 3.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Bess Bayo 4.jpg
    Bess Bayo 4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Bess Bayo 5.jpg
    Bess Bayo 5.jpg