• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My New, never-fired 1970s Short Land Pattern Bess "Stowe 1776"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just acquired a Short Land Pattern musket. It has a lock marked "Stowe 1776." Research points to this being a Navy Arms product, from just before America's Bicentennial. I believe Navy Arms imported the barrels and locks from Pedersoli, making the stocks here.

From an auction page:
Stowe 1776 Reproduction of a British Tower Style Flintlock Musket. This is a desirable Reproduction. A Mr Stowe who was the Curator of the West Point Museum had these made just prior to 1976 for the Bicentennial. The Lock was cast by Davide Pedersoli from an original and had Stowe and 1776 Cast into it to distinguish it from originals.

From another website:
This lock is a lock marked to honor Gerald Stowe a noted Historian and early reenactor who died in the 1970's It is purely a memorial to Mr Stowe.
I believe it was done by Pedersoli for Navy Arms Co. At the time of manufacture the Stowe 1776 version was offered along with the surviving Grice version.

The gun appears to be unfired. The bore is bright, the frizzen has very few marks on it. There is no sign of ignition anywhere.

Now, I bought this knowing it might be valuable as it is, but I also want to participate in Revolutionary War activities. What to do... Personally, I hate to see it remain on a wall.
20220209_174635.jpg
20220209_171834.jpg
20220209_171847.jpg20220209_171913.jpg20220209_172101.jpg20220209_172027.jpg

From an auction page:
Stowe 1776 Reproduction of a British Tower Style Flintlock Musket. This is a desirable Reproduction. A Mr Stowe who was the Curator of the West Point Museum had these made just prior to 1976 for the Bicentennial. The Lock was cast by Davide Pedersoli from an original and had Stowe and 1776 Cast into it to distinguish it from originals.

From another website:
This lock is a lock marked to honor Gerald Stowe a noted Historian and early reenactor who died in the 1970's It is purely a memorial to Mr Stowe.
I believe it was done by Pedersoli for Navy Arms Co. At the time of manufacture the Stowe 1776 version was offered along with the surviving Grice version.

The second story is the correct version of events. The head of Navy Arms knew Mr. Stowe as a personal friend. That's all.

LD

Back