• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Basic Leatherwork Questions - Newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd like to make a few knife sheaths for some small patch knives I've made. Problem is I have no idea how to do it.

Few questions - what type of leather do I need to make a knife sheath? What weight?

Is there a good place to buy small pieces of leather? I don't need a whole hide.

How do you sew leather? Do I need one of those stitching awls or will a plain needle work

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There's a whole bunch of variables to this question: what kind of knife; what kind of sheath, i.e. center seam, one-piece side seam, two-piece, etc; what kind of leather you want to use; do you want a period correct sheath; do you want your sheath sewn, laced, rivetted, tacked, etc; do you want a single layer of leather, or do you want something lined(ex:a rawhide inner liner with a deerskin cover).
I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert in leatherwork, but I've been doing it as a hobby for a whole lotta years. You can contact me off the forum. geejayem at earthlink dot net.

Widowbender,

PM your address and i'll send you a couple squares of leather. ive got bovine, buffalo, and some elk leftovers. Let me know what you need.
:v

If you have a shoe repair or a saddle shop in your town. They usually sell scraps of leather that are ideal for making sheaths and small items.
I have a cobbler in my town and alot of times he will cut a piece off of a hide he has in stock if I tell him what its for

I have found the local Tandy store is pretty expensive when it comes to buying leather. I do buy tools and supplies from them once in awhile. Below are a couple of places I buy from on eBay. I have found that most of their "Buy It NOW" prices (no bidding, just buy) beat Tandy.

:thumbsup:

Widowbender said:
Hello,

I'd like to make a few knife sheaths for some small patch knives I've made. Problem is I have no idea how to do it.

Few questions - what type of leather do I need to make a knife sheath? What weight?

Is there a good place to buy small pieces of leather? I don't need a whole hide.

How do you sew leather? Do I need one of those stitching awls or will a plain needle work

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Check out this web-site they're in St.Louis and really reasonable on alot of there stuff,www.stleather.com

Back