• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel twist for PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrownBear if a Lyman Great Plains Rifle is notorious for needing 200-300 shots through them before they settle down, then I have a fluke... because my shots are the first down the barrel, and accuracy is paramount from the first to say 60 shots that I have fired through it.... it was not shot before I got it used.. as the seller told me, that he never shot it. Patches, exhibit no sign of cutting either.. maybe mines the rare one.

Recovered-Patches-54-cal.jpg
In all the reading I've done over the years, I've never read or heard that the GPR needs a notorious number of rounds run thru before 'settling down'. Some guys run a patch with
valve grinding compound up and down to smooth out any machining marks. Just my comment. Overall, the GPR's seem to have an excellent reputation for what they are,
a fairly authentic, factory made rifle. Thanks.

In all the reading I've done over the years, I've never read or heard that the GPR needs a notorious number of rounds run thru before 'settling down'. Some guys run a patch with
valve grinding compound up and down to smooth out any machining marks. Just my comment. Overall, the GPR's seem to have an excellent reputation for what they are,
a fairly authentic, factory made rifle. Thanks.
I’m with Brown Bear on this one. Four of the five Lymans I have owned had what I would call ‘rag catcher’ bores when new. Made using a Scotch Brite Pad part of the cleaning regiment the first few times before the barrels settled down. The one that seemed good from the get go had a pretty stout cleaning with a Scotch Brite Pad initially as I cleaned the factory cosmoline (or whatever Lyman uses) out of the bore.

As a general observation, I have found most new barrels require some sort of break in, with a couple of Rice barrels I purchased new being a true exception.

I’m with Brown Bear on this one. Four of the five Lymans I have owned had what I would call ‘rag catcher’ bores when new. Made using a Scotch Brite Pad part of the cleaning regiment the first few times before the barrels settled down. The one that seemed good from the get go had a pretty stout cleaning with a Scotch Brite Pad initially as I cleaned the factory cosmoline (or whatever Lyman uses) out of the bore.

As a general observation, I have found most new barrels require some sort of break in, with a couple of Rice barrels I purchased new being a true exception.
Rice, of course, is a top-notch, authentic maker of barrels for the craftsman-builder crowd. Not unexpected that they would be good right from the first usage.

I like the term "rag catcher"! New one on me! That's probably why I've read that some guys
run valve-grinding compound on a patch, to smooth out the machine marks. I did that, and I guess if you don't over-do it, it works. Each has to make his own decision; that's why muzzleloading is so much fun...takes a bit of 'thinking'!

OK to reiterate some stuff, and to add some stuff to the discussion, Marine...

The Old School I was taught said:
1:48 twist was a compromise that shoots moderate loads for round ball, and also conicals well.
If you shoot a heavy load with a 1:48 twist you will strip the patched ball over the rifling and accuracy will be FUBAR
1:60 twist and slower is for round-ball only

WELL..., there are some problems with the above. There is no mention of the style of rifling. Nor is there a mention of the depth of rifling.

1:48 twist was highly popular before the conical minnie ball came into regular use, so a lot of folks were using it with round ball and on very large and even dangerous game such as bears. It was found in the 20th century, that with proper width and depth, 1:48 shot both round ball and conical well, so the manufacturers touted it as a "compromise", but historically, it wasn't.

1:72 twist was used in British Enfield rifles shooting conicals during the American Civil War, and those rifles were sometimes used for long range sniping. So much for the idea that 1:60 and slower twist couldn't shoot a conical bullet well....

You will note that in all of the factory made muzzle loading rifle barrels today, for their length, the ball gets at least a 1/2 turn before exiting the barrel. ;) (This is only important IF you want a barrel that is one length, but the only barrel you can find is too long and you want it shortened.)

The barrel makers slow down their twist rate as the calibers go up; when they are expecting you to use patched round ball. You have a hard time finding a 1:60 twist rate in a stock, factory .40 barrel, for example. You will also note that barrels are also made for larger calibers with a tad faster twist rates than 1:60 for the lads and ladies who want to shoot the conicals.

All of the barrels from the factories are symmetric rifling. Meaning an even number of grooves, and the lands and grooves are evenly spaced, and tend to be .010 depth, give or take .002 or so. Back when rifles were hand cut, often the grooves were thinner, much thinner, so it was easier for a heavy load to "strip" past the rifling. As muzzleloading caught on in the second half of the 20th century, and conicals were popular, some makers made rather shallow depth grooves by comparison to round ball barrels today. This was to ensure the base of the conical bullet, when it upset and grabbed the rifling, it got a good seal as well. So in both cases a heavy patched round ball load could strip the grooves.

Basically, the factory barrel makers have a vested interest in a product that is going to be accurate, and so they know from testing what is going to work, and work well. There are four very popular calibers in rifle barrels, .36, .45, .50, and .54. Whether you choose one of them or one of the slightly less popular calibers, pretty much any barrel made from one of the current manufacturers is going to be a good barrel, for targets and for hunting, using round ball. Some will be good for both round ball and conical.

You only really need to worry about the details when you want a "match" rifle for targets, or when you're doing some very specific shooting like long range silhouettes with paper patched rounds, etc.

Semper FI

LD

My Hawken (tc) was rebored to .54 with a turn in 60 inches, sweet shooter with loads from 40 to 90 grains. Which is as far as I’ve taken things and for deer and elk under 100 yards or so, I really don’t need more “power”...
I have two 54cal.MZLers a Lyman GPR and a Ithaca Hawkin. And both are as accurate as anyone could ask for. Ironically you and I get the same results and I mean the same.Accuracy starts to wane off at a tad over 90 grains but not real bad till 100grains. Both rifle shoot the same and that is very well.

Back