• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel to stock attachment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenB

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
The rifle I recently purchased appears to have been a homebuilt. Forward of the lock, there are three pins that secure the barrel to the stock. These pins are "blind", and only go in one direction. In order to remove the barrel, I must push the pins all the way in to the stock, remove the barrel, and pull the pins from their channel in the barrel. I was planning on reworking this into a cleaner design. Could someone please describe now the nicer rifles have their barrels secured?
Thanks,
Ken

That is the standard method for attaching a Non hooked breech rifle barrel. They all use pins. There is really no need to remove them, and a chance of causing stock damage by doing so. You can clean the barrel with it in the stock. Keep the muzzle pointed down a little and if it is a flinte, keep the vent pointed down or plug it with a toothpick. If you have the barrel out put a good coating of either paste wax or light grease on the bottom before putting it back in the stock to prevent rust.

If the pin holes are "blind", that is, they do not extend all of the way thru the forestock that is IMO a defective design.

I would recommend using a drill bit which is either the same size as the existing pins or smaller and drilling the holes the rest of the way thru.

Normally, the pin holes go all of the way thru the stock so they can be knocked out to remove the barrel.

As the stock is finished, if you decide to drill the holes the rest of the way thru put some masking tape on the solid side and go real slow with the process.
If you try to do this rapidly, there is a good chanch of chipping the wood out when the drill bit breaks thru.

Guess i missed that part where the holes didn't go all the way through. I thought he said he drove them out. :sorry:

ya don't spose the barrel tennons are made so the barrel will slide forward? I would take the lock off, also the tang screw and try to slide the barrel forward. I can't imagine anyone building a gun with a non removable barrel. flinch

sorry, reread your original post. I thought you couldn't get the barrel out. If it was mine, I would do as suggested and drill the holes all the way through the stock. flinch

Yup, got it drilled all the way through and got longer pins. Seems more practical now.
Thanks for the tips,
Ken

Back