• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel starter issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
On some TC barrels there is a short section at the muzzle without rifling. The supposed purpose of this is to make loading easier. I'm not very happy with it as there is a sharp edge that cuts the patch when I load round balls. Has anyone ever polished or reamed the point where the rifling ends to ease the transistion? Any suggestions to doing this? I was thinking of 400 grit paper wrapped around a two diameter dowell so that it fits tighly in the relieved section of the barrel. Turning it by hand ought to do the job. Some folks have cut off the relieved section but that means you lose the front sight. Thanks for your ideas, GC

I'm not sure I would turn it,just move it in and out. I would think turning it might leave a burr or ridge on one side of the rifling that could mess with the accuracy.Just a concern since I've never done.Maybe someone else would know for sure,but good luck with it.Hope you get it fixed. DALE

Contact TC and return it. What you plan to do could void the warranty. If you want to try something, try 0000 steel wool. That will do no harm, and often takes care of such problems.

Thanks Wick - This is a good opportunity to test the theorem of TC warranty. I'll give them a call and see what they can do about it. Report to follow. GC

Back