• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel reboring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Often on here the advice to have a barrel rebored is given. I suspect that the cost of having it done is usually more than the value of the gun being discussed. Can-will anyone tell what they've recently paid for such a service?

Often on here the advice to have a barrel rebored is given. I suspect that the cost of having it done is usually more than the value of the gun being discussed. Can-will anyone tell what they've recently paid for such a service?
The last barrel I had rebored about a year ago cost around $150. Best to call whoever it is you are planning to use if you want an accurate price. Prices are going up every day.

It was pre-Covid, but Bobby Hoyt bored & rifled a couple of barrels for me at IIRC, $135 each. One he did he was going to freshen, but the rifling was a left hand twist and he couldn't do that so bored it out from .50 to .54. That was a T-C Pennsylvania Hunter with the reverse twist.
~Kees~

I wouldn't see why a new barrel could not be matched to replace an old one, just mirror the existing barrels features and or adjust the fit of the barrel in the stock unless there is too much of a difference in the barrel type. I am thinking of the same thing but I have a stock blank and the barrel is old and have thought what I paid for the barrel and then to send it out and have it rebored it could easily be the price of a brand new one.

It was pre-Covid, but Bobby Hoyt bored & rifled a couple of barrels for me at IIRC, $135 each. One he did he was going to freshen, but the rifling was a left hand twist and he couldn't do that so bored it out from .50 to .54. That was a T-C Pennsylvania Hunter with the reverse twist.
~Kees~
Did that include the shipping to and from? If so it is not as bad for a couple barrels. Wondering if it would be even cheaper for a couple smoothbores.

I think some are weighing the difficulty of fitting a new barrel to an existing breechplug, cutting dovetails and fitting underlugs and sights, possible fitting a rib, and so on. If they get the original barrel freshened or bored out and re-rifled, none of that work will need to be done.

I sometimes recut rifling on original wrought iron barrels for $75-125 depending on how much work is involved. But they can’t be sewer pipes and can’t be completely eroded at breech or muzzle. This is only of interest to those who want to keep the form if an original barrel just as it is and not look new or modern. But the shipping is painfully expensive. At least $30 each way.

I guess it also depends on if there is not much to rebore, and if the breech plug has been removed either by unscrewing or sawing off. I have 2 smoothbores one seems to be in the 58 cal realm and the other in the 60 or 62 caliber realm (depends on which end I mic) they are around 33 to 36 inches long ( no breech plugs) . So figuring for a tube and shipping then the actual reboring cost, it might be a better deal to go for the rebore. Sorry Tom, trying not to hijack the thread but I think we are in the same kind of boat per say.

Good to know but still not many will be willing to spend $150-200 to fix an inexpensive Spanish made rifle. Understandably so.

Last edited:
Bobby Hoyt just rebored a 3220 to 3240 for $100.00. About fell over I expected twice that much. This is the second barrel he has done for me an LG and Y was relined and breech plug removed as well as the nipple for 200.00. Excellent work but be patient he is very busy. He also currently has another barrel of mine.

Bobby Hoyt just rebored a 3220 to 3240 for $100.00. About fell over I expected twice that much. This is the second barrel he has done for me an LG and Y was relined and breech plug removed as well as the nipple for 200.00. Excellent work but be patient he is very busy. He also currently has another barrel of mine.
Did that include shipping?

Mr. Hoyt is THE go-to guy for great work, reasonable prices, and good turn-around time. Shipping a plain barrel shouldn't be a big pain, it's only a narrow tubular package, after all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 32-20 to 32-40 is a rechamber in a cartridge gun, not a reline of a muzzleloader.

Latest posts

Back