• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel inletting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that would inlet a swamped 32 call barrel into a precarved stock for pay$$$$?? Ok change of thought.whats the opinion on using a router to cut the a chanelZONLT THE WIDTH OF TOP FLAT and deep enough for the barrel. Then work the sides with chissels. Then make s shim for the bottom of the channel and glue in for barrel to rest on . Or bed it

Do it by hand, in a piece of soft wood first to learn, it isn't that hard to do. Follow the inletting black down and it will be done very well. If you can route a channel straight and level without blowing up the forend on a pre-carve go for it, but no way no how would I go closer than maybe 1/8" from final depth at the smallest part of the swamp. If the wood has much curl I would personally be terrified of routing the channel in a pre-carve, it's way safer to do when there is still a bunch of blank wood supporting the forend, if it grabs or chatters or anything the forend will break I think. I would bed it when done no matter what, a very thin coat of accraglass is what I use. My opinion, well worth the price LOL.

Is there anyone here that would inlet a swamped 32 call barrel into a precarved stock for pay$$$$?? Ok change of thought.whats the opinion on using a router to cut the a chanelZONLT THE WIDTH OF TOP FLAT and deep enough for the barrel. Then work the sides with chissels. Then make s shim for the bottom of the channel and glue in for barrel to rest on . Or bed it
On my swamp builds I use a radius bit to route out the narrowest/highest part of the inlet. Chisel time after that.
Larry

That's what I thought would work. It's n.good to hear that my ideas are not so bad. Oh by the way everyone I called kibler. They will do the barrel channel and all the other mortises for me and ship the stock. I will have minor tweaking which is what all my kits have been. I drew up a sketch of the barrel with all yhe dimensions in thousandths. I Emailed zBree at Kibler and she will let me know for sure. Same barrel from Rice but she was concerned about the clean ip they do on their barrels making the channel slightly to small. Hey that's what I would prefer anyway. Hope this all works out.

Back