• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Inletting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdsenne

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Looking to see if any of you can help me out. I bought Volume I and Volume II, stocking the american long rifle DVD's from Peter Alexander (I have the book as well). Which are great by the way if you haven't seen them. My question is, there used to be a video on You Tube or someplace that had Peter Alexander inletting the actual barrel. I lost my bookmarks and can't find it anywhere now. Does anyone know where to find that video. I feel like I'm starting on step 2. He doesn't sell a video on the site that shows how to do the first step. Any ideas?

Thanks

I must confess I have no idea what you mean by Step 1 and Step 2. This may be why there are no responses to your question...

Nonetheless, barrel inletting isn't difficult, merely time-consuming. Fit, mark, remove wood - repeat until the barrel is seated.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I think Mark Silver recently came out with a DVD on barrel inletting. I haven't seen it yet but if it's anything like his first video on gun stock shaping it will be excellent.

By the way, I inlet a swamped barrel using only hand tools guided only by Dixon's gun building book and Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele/Shumway. A daunting task that those two references reduced to a few simple steps. It took more patience and time than it did skill and experience.

The inletting is not difficult, just make sure that you inlet STRAIGHT DOWN. Use your square and check often. If you are not careful you can easily end up with a barrel channel that is wider at the top than the bottom, resulting in a gap, or worse yet a barrel that is tipped slightly to one side.

Thanks for the responses. What I meant by step one is inletting the barrel, step two is that the DVD's start at inletting the lock. The book has how to inlet the barrel and lug, but I was looking for a video to show how. I'm a visual learner and it helps. If you think the Mark Silver inletting a swamped barrel would be helpful, I'll check into that.

At one point Peter Alexander had a video that showed him inletting the barrel. I thought it was on You Tube but I can't find it anywhere now. Maybe they took it down.

Thanks

Back