• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Hooks vs. Wedges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok fella's,

I liked what I heard about being able to pull the barrel to clean the GPR, but what the heck is a hook vs. a wedge? What do I need to get to do it?

BTW - the GPR kit was ordered last night!!! I don't know if the kit has the browning and degreasing solution in it, or for that matter the finishing oils.

-So, what should I be ordering to be ready to start working on this riflegun?

Spot

spot shooter I assume by wedge and hook you are refering to the barrel wedges two on GPR's they hold barrel to the stock the hook is for the hooked breech no special tools needed altho T/C does make a handy if not P/C wedge install & removal tool I doubt if your Kit will come with neccessary finishing chemicals so you will need that. blueing or better yet browning solution several grades sand paper and steel wool also stock stain, filler and finish by the time you buy all this it will cost more than the finished rifle but you'll get the satisfaction of doin it yerself take your time and good luck
weasel

Spot
The two wedge keys hold the barrel to the fore arm of the stock

By removimg the two wedge keys< the muzzle end of the barrel can then be pivoted upwards to unhook from the tang

You"ll git a clean"n jag< and two different rear sights in yore kit< no bottles of finish or stain

Sumpthin thet ain"t ben mentioned yet< is pin"n the ramrod tip to the ramrod< this only takes a few minutes< but can save you a bunch of aggrivation later

YMHS
rollingb

Back