• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barlow knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceHuxford

40 Cal
Reaction score
Maybe, some of y'all can help me with this, I'm searching for a Barlow knife to add to my kit. Would a Russell Barlow fit in with approximately mid to late 1830's or should I be looking for a different manufacturer. I have a passion for Barlow knives. Thanks y'all

Big jump from the 1830s to 1860s ,and a little off topic, but I read somewhere that it was it was a Barlow that Gen. Forrest used in stabbing of Lt. Gould. It probably wasn't but that's one the stories I heard. Oh, mine is a two bladed Barlow, most carried by "common folk" were single bladed.

Last edited:
Mine is not a genuine Barlow, it is 2 bladed Shrade with bone handles. Does Shrade even manufacture "Barlows" anymore?

Attachments

• 17094794959295738367195249728087.jpg
    17094794959295738367195249728087.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 0
Imperial Schrade--as the old company in Ellenville New York--went out of business in 2004. Intellectual property rights, designs, etc were sold off.

Barlows of the 1770-1830 era were almost exclusively single-bladed. They were cheap working knives, and their construction reflects this. Iron scales with integral bolster (meaning they were forged as one piece, typically in dies). Covers were saw-cut bone, held with peened iron pins. Flat ground clip-pointed blades with no nail nick. Very thin--overall, less than half as thick as the modern 2-bladed Barlow from companies like Schrade and Case.

We don't start to see 2-bladed Barlows until late in the 1800s, when sheet metal technology made 2-piece construction of the scales (scale + added bolster) economically feasible at a similar price point. As late as 1930 you could buy a Russell Barlow for $.15.

I actually carry a two bladed one made by Colonial out of Rhode Island. Grandpa gave it to me when I was 12. He carried it for a long time before then.

My uncle gave me the Schrade Barlow thirty something years ago. No telling how long he had it before I got it. But it can't be too old because it only states "Shrade" on its blades. Any of the older ones, like pre 1970 maybe, have "Shrade Walden" stamped on them.

My main complaint about the Barlow (mine anyway) is that the blade does not "lockback" as in its not too rigid. Almost need to wear thick leather gloves when handling it. It tends to close fairly easy. And if one is not careful it'll close right on your fingers. Are all Barlows like that?

My main complaint about the Barlow (mine anyway) is that the blade does not "lockback" as in its not too rigid. Almost need to wear thick leather gloves when handling it. It tends to close fairly easy. And if one is not careful it'll close right on your fingers. Are all Barlows like that?
Can't answer for all Barlows. I have accumulated a lot of pocket knives over the years. Never feel comfortable doing significant cutting with one that does not lock open positively. I do not think I have a Barlow that meets that criteria.

A Barlow pocketknife would not be out of place in an 1830s rig. The Barlow brothers of Sheffield manufactured Barlow knives, but many other manufacturers made knock-offs, and eventually Barlow became a generic name for that style knife.

Carl Russell, who wrote "Firearms, Traps, & Tools of the Mountain Men" (1967, Alfred Knopf), states that pocketknives, and Barlows in particular, were quite common on the western frontier throughout the late 18th and early 19th centuries. (The book is out of print, but worth looking for on the used book market. )

One short excerpt:

"A tremendous number of cheap Barlows were manufactured in the Stannington district, near Sheffield, by several firms, so many came from there that the name "Stannington Barlow" was coined. A Barlow knife is a jackknife, of course, that dates back to the seventeenth century. The distinguishing feature is the extra long bolster. Legend has it that the brothers Barlow devised this feature in order to give strength to the cheapest jackknife they could make. Other manufacturers adopted the long bolster, and their knives also became known as Barlows. The type is still on the market and is still named Barlow."

Sketches of pocket knives known to have been used on the western frontier in the late 18th and early 19th centuries:

Attachments

• IMG_5024a.jpg
    IMG_5024a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5025.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Maybe, some of y'all can help me with this, I'm searching for a Barlow knife to add to my kit. Would a Russell Barlow fit in with approximately mid to late 1830's or should I be looking for a different manufacturer. I have a passion for Barlow knives. Thanks y'all
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but Americana Pipedream apparel offers cheap reproductions that look good and fit the original style. https://www.americanapipedream.com/products/barlow-pocket-knife?variant=39887341486277

While reading that link about Barlows, the words "Shawnee Encampments" caught my eye. Somehow I just can't picture it. Did Indians really carry pocket knives?

While reading that link about Barlows, the words "Shawnee Encampments" caught my eye. Somehow I just can't picture it. Did Indians really carry pocket knives?
According to Russell, archeological excavations of Native American sites have turned up a fair number of pocket knives despite the fact that Native American clothing rarely included pockets.

Latest posts

Back