• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bandsaw blade question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Ekes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have lucked out in obtaining: 1)a pile of maple and walnut slabs from an accomplished but deceased gunbuilder and 2)a large bandsaw that was my father's and, before that, an old boatshop's.
I need to get a new blade and want to cut gunstocks. The current blade is about 104 inches long. what would be the maximum blade width that I could use for cutting stock blanks and occasional other curved pieces? I would appreciate any info. from the bandsaw and stock cutting experienced members. Thanks, Bob

I have half a dozen blades for my bandsaw depending on what I am cutting. They vary from 3/8" to 3/4", coarse to fine teeth. I change blades as much as 2 or 3 times a day.
I suggest you get at least two blades, a wide one for straight cuts and a narrow one for curvey cuts. A bandsaw with one blade is like a drill with one bit!

What I did with my bandsaw.

I was in sears one day and they had blades on clearance for $1.40something. it was 6tpi and 3/8". I had them order me 10 of them and picked them up maybe a week ago.

Things to look at is go with the smallest blade possible in length, the wides possible and low tpi, also hook if you can find them. get many and keep some new on hand in case you have to cut some very high end stuff.

use trash wood to learn how to use it as your tension is critical. Learn to resaw first off. there's several awsome resources on the web for bandsaw info.

There's several blade materials out there and it really depends on what your doing, what your cutting and what you need in the end. Some blades you are looking in the $200 or more price range for one blade but that one blade is quite good and they say get more than 1.

Ed

A lot of variables here and most bandsaws are kinda finicky -for good performance ya gotta figure out [trial/error] what blades your saw likes best. Blade material, how you track and tension the blade, pitch [tooth configuration], drift, motor size and feed rate all contribute to good rips/resawing. Speaking generally [for your size saw], a 1/4" x 6tpi is a good bet for curves and such while a 3/4" x 3-4 tpi hook or skip tooth blade might serve well for resawing -if ya can exert sufficient tension to keep it true. As mentioned elsewhere, Timberwolf has good, competitively priced blades. Rather than trying to figure out their sizing charts, give them a call -they're knowledgeable and helpful.
~Longshot

There are several other companies you can buy blades from. MSC Industrial supply, DoAll and Grizzley all sell a wide variety of blades. You can find all these companies on the web.

Frank

I would recommend checking out any local saw shops. I have mine made at local place that supplies and sharpens blades for loggers. If I buy 10 at a time I can get 104" blades for about $8.50 each that cut like the wood slicer or timberwolf and are twice the blade that Lowe's or Sears sells.

Back