• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beware GunBroker Sales

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not made aware of a checkout system and dealt directly with the buyer as I have done many times before. If GB was supposed to collect the tax from the buyer it did not.

As other posts mentioned, GB doesnt "collect" tax from the buyer, the seller does. GB includes the tax amount based on the buyers location and its in the totals in their info. Its up to the seller to be sure they get it from the buyer. And yes, the seller is "charged" the tax, just as in retail sales, the seller is supposed to also pass that long after they collect it from the buyer.

GB has some convoluted information, its been confusing to me to find the totals at times, its not always where I expect to find it, but its there. All my transactions there have been direct with the seller, but the tax info is shown if you can find the right section to look.

Some are grumpy about GB following the law. Its not a conspiracy, its basic economics. States have passed laws about online sales, they are tired of losing tax revenue to untaxed internet sales, so now most states require online sales to be taxed. Individuals doing face to face transactions may circumvent taxes, but its not as easy to run a business and ignore the law.

I stopped selling on Gunbroker after the Georgia Secretary of State's office charged my credit card $350 for a "Corporate Fee" or something like that. Someone at Gunbroker had to be in on it for the Georgia Secretary of State's office to have my CC information. The number on my CC statement was the office of the Secretary of State. I called and left messages as nobody would answer. I called my CC company and they refunded my money.

Just wait until 7/1/24, Commifornia is charging 18.5% tax on all guns, ammo in addition to site fees charged. CA is toxic, courtesy of the scum and AG bonta.
Scum soon to be president

I open this thread only to alert the forum of a problem with GunBroker. I was just charged sales tax as a seller on a $3,000 rifle. Although GB has all the information for both buyer and seller it chose the seller to charge the sales tax. Multiple contacts with customer service did not remedy he situation. I'm changing my auction site.
Well if you understood the process.GB shows sales tax on the seller's invoice.
The seller is responsible to pay the tax out of your account.
The buyer pays the sales tax and 1% fee to the seller.
The seller will pay the listing fee,sales tax out of his bank account or on charge card how ever the seller sets it up.
You better go back and read the GB procedures.

This whole thing started with what they call Nexus states, those that have agreements to collect sales tax from sellers in other states that collect sales tax, Ebay, Amazon etc got this all started.
Gunbroker really had no choice nor do other similar outfits, because they do more than just provide access to a market like Guns International, no taxes collected there, just seller fees.
The sellers on GB have no choice as the taxes are automatically collected from Nexus states thru the seller, then the tax is taken back from the seller by GB, thru your on-file CC and sent to the collecting state. I dont believe GB is holding on to the taxes, that would be a flagrant violation of law, highly unlikely.

Soon I am told by GB all sellers will have to have an actual sellers bank account and send more info to GB in order to do business there. I went round and round on the phone with them, they actually called me, and said eventually all sellers will do this or no more selling.
I have been a seller there for years, buyer too of course, but I told them when that day comes that I have to open a separate bank account to sell there, I am gone. So far at least it hasnt happened but I expect it any day.
Its my understanding that already new sellers must show bank account info to begin selling but sellers that have been around for a while are exempt for now.
It sucks but it is what it is.

It now seems a matter of "predictable hindsight". Those who buy everything in sight right now may really be ahead of the game. Inflation alone may may play a key role in value and prices. Increasing draconian govt regulations and voluntary private industry actions will also affect supply and demand. In other words get it now while you can.

A recent purchase of an unmentionable on GB got around all of this. It was NOT an auction listing but a buy it now price. I emailed the seller to ask a question about his description (he had listed as new but it had already been transferred to someone so I corrected him that it should have been listed as "used, believed to be un-fired". He also suggested that if I was interested that we talk. I ran his information, found that he has a nice web site about his business etc. so I found him to be an actual trustworthy seller with all positive reviews on GB. He stopped the listing. I made an offer that he accepted immediately. I sent him USPS MO and had my transfer dealer contact him to provide necessary paperwork. Gun showed up, great buy on the gun. No Sales Tax! None paid by me, none charged to him as listing was canceled. I haven't sold on GB in years so not sure what listing charges are these days but that was all he paid.
I have had to change transfer agents as the one that I have used for over 10 years has raised his prices several times in the past two years. Now almost 50% higher than others in the area. Add to new "fee" to complete a background check here in NY and it makes it just outrageous. And of course the "fee" here in NY is just so they can violate Federal Law and create a registry of all the items everyone is buying including black powder firearms as the most recent law has changed to now require that they go through a dealer here.

I open this thread only to alert the forum of a problem with GunBroker. I was just charged sales tax as a seller on a $3,000 rifle. Although GB has all the information for both buyer and seller it chose the seller to charge the sales tax. Multiple contacts with customer service did not remedy he situation. I'm changing my auction site.
I pass on to the buyer the sales tax on the invoice. I pay the listing fees of course

Have seen transfer fees as high as 75-100. Wonder how many sales are are "affected" by them alone??
A lot lost, unless the FFL is the only game in town.
I tell guys who have new guns transfered in, I could have ordered that for you.
I don't know what a state background check cost. Which IMPO is a waste of state resources seeing a FFL can use FBI NICS for free.

Ever sale their is a invoice that breaks down cost.
The last invoice I got from my last transaction did not break out the taxes I pay from the fee they charge. Im my opinion why should I pay a fee to GB to buy something. I dont do that at a gun store. Most of the prices on GB anymore are inflated above and beyond what I can buy one for locally.

Back