• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol fumes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE FACT THAT THE AEROSOL VERSION OF BALLISTOL IS OUTLAWED IN CALIFORNIA MIGHT LEAD YOU TO THINK IT HAS SOME GOOD QUALITIES, YOU SHOULD BEAR IN MIND THAT it is difficult to use as a patch lubricant as it is difficult to give precisely equal squirts, shot after shot. And if vary the lube you will vary the group.

I suggest a small bottle of the liquid style will last a long long time.

Dutch

True oil and Febrings leather dye are banned in California! California envioro-fanatics have gone insane banning everything with VOC's. Never mind we all use gasoline and spill a bit from time to time making orders of magnitude more VOC that all the paint and spray oil that ever get used.

Smell or no smell I'd like to give it a try, and will someday. I still stand by my question " why is Ballistol so hard to find"? Why cant you drop in almost any store and grab a bottle like you would a can of WD40 . Yes it does sell 30 miles from here, but why not in our neighborhood walmart? There is some pretty good size towns in Texas that are not on that list.

Smell or no smell I'd like to give it a try, and will someday. I still stand by my question " why is Ballistol so hard to find"? Why cant you drop in almost any store and grab a bottle like you would a can of WD40 . Yes it does sell 30 miles from here, but why not in our neighborhood walmart? There is some pretty good size towns in Texas that are not on that list.

Why don't you go to your local Walmart and ask them to carry it??

THE FACT THAT THE AEROSOL VERSION OF BALLISTOL IS OUTLAWED IN CALIFORNIA MIGHT LEAD YOU TO THINK IT HAS SOME GOOD QUALITIES, YOU SHOULD BEAR IN MIND THAT it is difficult to use as a patch lubricant as it is difficult to give precisely equal squirts, shot after shot. And if vary the lube you will vary the group.

I suggest a small bottle of the liquid style will last a long long time.

Dutch
I use it in a moose milk mixture like in your book for patch lube

A welding supply store sells it 30 miles from here. Why would a welding supply store sell it but yet a sporting goods store or Walmart wouldnt. What else is it used for beside guns?

After it seized up my guns so bad I needed tools free them I don't use that junk anymore. So the smell doesn't matter. I don't recall if I threw out an almost full can or if it is hiding at the back of one of my shelves somewhere. Awfullest stuff ever.

That has not been my experience at all.
One must remember to shake the can well if it has been sitting for any length of time ( more than 45 minutes or so ). The contents will separate in the can a cording to their weights.
Shake it VERY WELL if it has been sitting for days or weeks.

A welding supply store sells it 30 miles from here. Why would a welding supply store sell it but yet a sporting goods store or Walmart wouldnt. What else is it used for beside guns?

Wal-Mart will only stock an item if they can buy it from a vendor/manufacturer at rock-bottom prices.
Many suppliers refuse to do it. They would have to shave the per unit profit down to almost nothing while running full-blast to fulfill the volume required to be a Wal-Mart supplier.
A pretty tricky business model for a supplier to operate under.

Isnt mineral oil a petrolium oil? Ive always avoided petro in my ml's
Ive only used water to clean and neatsfoot, bear or olive oil to lube,I do use wd40 to blow water out of the lock,but never the barrel and I use 3in 1 oil in the lock, neatsfoot to wipe everything down , wood and metal

Isnt mineral oil a petrolium oil? Ive always avoided petro in my ml's

I’ve read this as well, but Gatofeo’s #1 lube uses canning paraffin wax (Gulf Wax), which contains some petroleum product. Not sure what this wax was made of 100 years ago, but this recipe was a commercial recipe for outside lubricated bullets, which makes them a late 1800’s lube I’d guess.

I’ve been using it for years on wads, pistol bullets, and REALs, and it’s worked great. Supposedly it also works nicely as a patch lube, which one day I’ll try.

So I wonder if a smidge of patroleum isn’t too bad.

I have a large bottle non-aresol and I simply dont use it. This afternoon I accidently knocked it off my shelve above the work bench and popped the top off spilling it everywhere.

Now I smell like ballistol.

Fleener

The manager of our local Walmart wouldnt know Ballistol from WD40 but it cant hurt to ask I suppose.
I've never used Ballistol but I've heard it has a "odor" to it. Oh a question was asked earlier if one of the main ingrediants ( mineral oil) was a petroleum product. Is it?

I've been wondering what to do with it and got to thinking it might make a pretty good cat repellent to keep the neighbors tom cat out of my garden.
Yup, add a little to a cloth patch, sandwich the patch between powder and ball and wallah, instant Tom cat repellant.

If walmart carries it, but not at your store, on my phone app, I have an option to order it and have it delivered to my walmart store at no cost.

Fleener

If i cant get it on a regular basis, what product do y'all consider second best. Plus I mentioned that I've never used Ballistol. It is a liitle expensive too, isn't it?

Back