• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a .433 diameter roundball with a cloth patch to load a .44 cal front stuffer.

These ball sizes are available but they can be hard to find at a local gun store.

Speer doesn't make them but Hornady does.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=12115&osCsid=c5cldmcblr5rhmh5a5fsd4edu3
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply...s/Projectiles/Round_Balls/_point_433_Diameter

Dixie gunworks also offers some of their home made .430 diameter lead roundballs,
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_312&products_id=1369

Either of these roundballs would be patched with a .010 or .012 thick cotton patch in a muzzleloading pistol.

Note: If we are talking about a cap & ball revolver, that's a horse of a different color.
Cap & Ball revolvers shoot oversize balls, swaged into their cylinders so they would use a .453 or .457 diameter ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know right now is that it is a pistol! I am looking for one and talking to a feller now! :idunno:

I did! He is being evasive! I told him I would pass! Thanks everybody! :doh:

If you slug your bore it will be easy to tell the diameter of ball and patch thickness needed.
With out that knowledge you just have to keep trying different patch and ball sizes until one works.

ok maybe semantics or a dumb question.
But typically a pistol is a single shot.

Where as a revolver has a rotating cylinder

so is it a single shot?

.44 revolver would use .451 .454 .457 round balls and no patching.

ccmountainman said:
ok maybe semantics or a dumb question.
But typically a pistol is a single shot.

Where as a revolver has a rotating cylinder

so is it a single shot?

.44 revolver would use .451 .454 .457 round balls and no patching.

True.

tac

I also said it was a front stuffer! But it is-was a single shot! But come opening day of muzzleloading deer season you can hear them thar men cut loose with them double barrel, automatic, pump smokepole's! If I could just find out whar they buy them at I would buy me one! Next time I run into the Local Game Keeper I am going to axe him whar to buy, find one!

"hear them thar men cut loose with them double barrel, automatic, pump smokepole's!

Photos would be nice of what you describe.

Well I can't rightly post one! You see, I hear them being used, but when I see the person that was shooting them they have them disguised as a single shot ,front stuffing, honest to goodness muzzleloader! I haven't been lucky enough to see one out in the open! But I hear them all the time! Shootin 3-4-5 times in a roll, real fast! :rotf: :idunno:

tnpaw said:
I also said it was a front stuffer! But it is-was a single shot! But come opening day of muzzleloading deer season you can hear them thar men cut loose with them double barrel, automatic, pump smokepole's! If I could just find out whar they buy them at I would buy me one! Next time I run into the Local Game Keeper I am going to axe him whar to buy, find one!

yes you did. But BP C&B revolvers are technically a front stuffer too, as they are loaded from the front of the chamber, versus a cartridge gun at the rear.
But I think what some were questioning, was the .44 aspect you mentioned vs the more common .45 caliber in a front loading pistol.

I hear every morning at day brake the second it is legal to hunt like 8 shots within seconds , I think it is a bunch of people hunting the same herd

To All:

The subject is single shot muzzleloading guns, not multiple shots being fired at some game animal, who did it or why.

The latest question seems to be is the pistol a .44 or a .45 "front stuffer"?

It's a pretty good question because most of the "Army" caliber revolvers are called .44 caliber because that is the size of their bore.

Many of the single shot front loading pistols now being imported are .45's because their bore is .450 inches in diameter.

There was a time, back in 1960 thru the '80's that .44 caliber single shot rifles and pistols were imported into the US. They had .440" diameter bores and used .433 diameter roundballs.

As I see it, this is the question of the moment and the only answer given so far by tnpaw is some sort of rambling that doesn't answer the question.

Maybe we'll find out yet. :)

Anytime I have a question about ball size, bore diameter or patch thickness I just grab one of these.
433301_400x400_zps2ca4f7a7.jpg

Personally, I don't know how people get by without one.

Back