• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball mould restoration/refit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salkehatchie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, down deep in the Ozarks of MO this past weekend and always hit the antique shops. One just never, ever knows.

I found two gorgeous ball moulds obviously hand forged. Sweet little rascals and priced cheaper than new ones are.

One had on it stamped...55. No other markings evident on them. I suspect this is 55 balls to a pound as no way was it a .55 cal.

My question is though...can one take a ball cherry to them to increase the caliber? [ I can not do this of course, but surely there is someone out there who can. ] Is this feasible?

Thank you in advance guys.

Sure it is feasible, but...... since the two halves most likely would need to be trued and since it would be a custom job to have it done, I doubt it would be economical to do it. There is also the factor of ruining an historic piece.

Now, it is your mold and you certainly may do anything with it you wish, but if it were me, I think I would save it for the historic interest as is. I have a couple old molds like this that I have not had redone. Just a thought.

Gus

Thank you guys.

Cost is not the issue, not that money grows on trees. Would be worth it. And 'suppose the best alternative would be to use them for a current duplicate!

I do concur about "ruining" an historic piece.

"Rescuing" it and display is probably the best choice agreed.

Why ruin a potentially historic piece? Especially when it gives you an excuse for a new rifle. You'll just have to have a gun built that shoots that size ball. Shame.

Brokennock is right. you rarely find originals in the condition you describe. anyway the anwers I got was no from a mold maker on some Dixie early molds. cost would be more than a new one.

Back