• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone have a Jeff Tanner brass mould ?? I need an answer ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this pair of antique hand forged mould handles. I thought they would be good for demonstrating running ball, but they wouldn't look right with a modern mould attached to them. One of the Jeff Tanner brass moulds might look more correct. What I would like to do if someone wants to help me with my experiment, is I send these mould handles to you. Mount your Jeff Tanner mould to the handles to see if they fit. Maybe cast a ball or two to make sure the mould halves line up OK and doesn't leave an exposed seam around the ball. I'd pay for the shipping back of course. If they work perfectly, then I'll order a Tanner mould in one of the rifle calibers I have (probably .480). I have a product called 'brass black' that I can darken the mould so it doesn't look modern or new. BTW .... how 'round' is a ball cast from a Tanner mould, perfectly round ?? Give me a PM if you want to help with my experiment ......
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• mould handles.JPG
    mould handles.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
The molds come in different outside sizes, a .72 is about twice as big as the .526 in the picture.

You can see the center to center hole spacing in the picture. The handle thickness necessary to fit the slots is 1/4" or slightly less.

tanner hole spacing.JPG
+

The hole spacing is the same width as yours when I open the handles. The handles are a hair under 1/4 inch thick. I need to find out if a mould is mounted on these handles, do the mould halves line up just right. The only way to know is to try a set of the mould blocks. Things can be filed slightly for fit if needed.

Attachments

• handle width.JPG
    handle width.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Both halves of the molds need to be slightly slack in the handles Rusty.
The Tanner molds have a lip around them to centre themselves, but need a slight bit movement to allow this.
My mould is a .750".
It seems to be within a thou of being perfectly round.
You will know Jeff passed away, but his son is keeping the business up and running.

Last edited:
They do take a little getting use too… But
are great moulds...👍
I’m not sure those handles will work , due too what Pukka said…they need too be slightly slack… and move too center themselves.

They offer handles on their website but because the cost and shipping is very high in England, they suggest you find your handles locally.

From the website, describing their handles.

Description​

Fits all standard Moulds, Including Lee and Lyman.

*** We advise USA customers not to order these, as you should be able to source these locally. Thank you ***​

I bought a lot of Tanner moulds over the years and as many Mcquire. LEM , originally Tanner moulds came with his handles But he went to their fitting Lyman & probably others similar . Mcquire always had the built in sprue cut off Both excellent if hardly antique looking . Balls or unusual bullets they do both( I spell 'moulds' as it is in English usage ).
Regards Rudyard

The idea is to have something that looks more historical to do demonstrations using these hand forged wrought iron mould handles. Using Lee and Lyman handles, Modern Lyman and Ideal moulds with a sprue cutter will not look right for demo's in a historical setting.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Back