• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

balistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys was at a trade show and a friend of mine was selling balistol. Said some of the best lube gun oil cleaner on the market. So I tried some on my mls and boy they look like new! Read on the can that you can use it as a patch lube. Waiting on weather to see how it works. Has any one tried it? And if so howed u like it?

Ballistol is a good cleaner and lubricant. It was developed to clean and lubricate rifles that used the corrosive smokeless powders in the early 1900s.

I use it as the final step in the cleaning process. It will also work well as a water soluble oil for lubricating patches.

Its definitely worth a try.

If your guns have not been lubed with ballistol before you will probably get an orange patch the first time down after setting a while.This will stop after a few cleanings and your guns will be protected very well.

Ballistol is largely mineral oil (baby oil) with an oddball alcohol that aids in emulsifying the oil when mixed with water.

It has a near-cult following in some circles, and is said to have a a myriad of mystical and near magic powers. It's great stuff for those who believe :thumbsup:

Just don't depend on it as a final oil for the bore after cleaning. Frankly there are many oils around today that do a better job. I keep it around though for Dutche's system.

Geo. T.

This is the alcohol that is found in Ballistol:
http://www.chemicalland21.com/petrochemical/ISO-BUTANOL.htm

Ballistol is an excellent patch lube applied either straight or mixed with water in various proportions. The patch material is soaked in the solution and allowed to dry.

Ballistol is also an excellent gun cleaner when mixed 1 part Ballistol plus 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap (can substitute Pine-O-pine) and 10 parts water. Shake well and use on cleaning patches. When cleaning cap and ball revolvers, completely disassemble them and spray all of the parts with the mixture. Wipe clean with a rag. Swab the bore and cylinder chambers with patches with the mixture on them. Dry and oil with a good gun oil such as Barricade. Try it, you will be amazed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started using it and never been happier.

Meteor Man: That picture is showing the wrong side of the source of the smell.

Back