• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bag 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks fabulous. I like your use of the stitching for the strap as decoration too.
A note on leather bags, stitching: to use a square or rectangle with an X (our in your case the double S) aids in the strength and durability of the strap. To add even more weight bearing ability, cut a slot in the back of the bag and put the end inside to stitch down.
[I don't know why this is true, but I tested it with 4-5 oz and 7-9 oz leathers in the materials testing lab when I worked there.... I also found using two copper rivets made it so the main leather of the bag/case or the strap itself failed before the joint ever did]

With your decorative stitching, this would make the stitching really pop out and look even more sharp with the plus of having a bag able to carry about 50% more weight before failure... but I don't know what you'd want in a possible bag to weigh that much... 500, 75 cal round ball?

Thanks will keep that in mind for the next one.

RM

Rod man, looks great, I've tried doing that and it could look better, yours's looks great!

just curious, what part did not work out? I might can help. For example, since the bag I had an revelation/epiphany. The speedy stitcher really shines when going “freestyle” so to speak. Also I found a one hole punch at hobby lobby that was a lot like a paper hole puncher. The holes it makes are very small. Come to find out the threads are the same as my professional grade hole puncher. The smaller the better.

RM

just curious, what part did not work out? I might can help. For example, since the bag I had an revelation/epiphany. The speedy stitcher really shines when going “freestyle” so to speak. Also I found a one hole punch at hobby lobby that was a lot like a paper hole puncher. The holes it makes are very small. Come to find out the threads are the same as my professional grade hole puncher. The smaller the better.

RM
I guess my work just needed a little more care in what I was doing! I'm really curious about the hole maker you found at Hobby Lobby, what department did you find it in? I have one of those wheel type hole makers but the littlest hole is broken, never have been able to use it, second hand. I agree with you , the smaller the hole is better!
Rich

I guess my work just needed a little more care in what I was doing! I'm really curious about the hole maker you found at Hobby Lobby, what department did you find it in? I have one of those wheel type hole makers but the littlest hole is broken, never have been able to use it, second hand. I agree with you , the smaller the hole is better!
Rich

It will be hanging on the wall in the leather crafts section. Same place you got the "wheeled one" if you got it there. It just unscrewed from the single and had the same threads as the wheeled version. Works great. They sell two different versions of the wheeled ones and believe it or not, in my opinion the stamped steel one is the better of the two. The threads are different on the more expensive one and the smallest punch is kinda big.

RM

It will be hanging on the wall in the leather crafts section. Same place you got the "wheeled one" if you got it there. It just unscrewed from the single and had the same threads as the wheeled version. Works great. They sell two different versions of the wheeled ones and believe it or not, in my opinion the stamped steel one is the better of the two. The threads are different on the more expensive one and the smallest punch is kinda big.

RM
Thanks, I'll check it out! I've been wanting to make another bag.
By the way Rod Man, I use to be a rod & chain man myself than progressed to a scope and more for the local electric co.

Thanks, I'll check it out! I've been wanting to make another bag.
By the way Rod Man, I use to be a rod & chain man myself than progressed to a scope and more for the local electric co.

Very Good!!!

Well, for me I used to be on the gun all the time, now at this point in my career, I have five states that I service and I am running crews or training newbies which puts me on the "Rod" most of the time. Hence the handle. Funny how things tend to run full circle. It is the natural progression of things I guess. 3 more years and some change though, and I am leaning the Rod against the tree and walking away. 😉

RM

Very Good!!!

Well, for me I used to be on the gun all the time, now at this point in my career, I have five states that I service and I am running crews or training newbies which puts me on the "Rod" most of the time. Hence the handle. Funny how things tend to run full circle. It is the natural progression of things I guess. 3 more years and some change though, and I am leaning the Rod against the tree and walking away. 😉

RM
Well good luck on your next achievement, which I think from what you wrote is retirement! You'll like it!
I've been retired for awhile now and the hardest part is deciding what time to get out of bed! A friend of mine keeps telling me that so I'm just passing it along.:p

Latest posts

Back