• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bag 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My second shot at this Bag stuff,

I used up all my Hobby lobby leather on this one, no more scraps from now on. Have since acquired the proper materials to do this kinda work. Still need to work on the tools a bit. I enjoy the work, lots of fun. Learned a lot again, mainly I cant draw for doodoo! It was supposed to be a Hunters star but what went from paper to leather, got morphed some how or another. So, imagine that you are looking at a star with an 1830's spy glass and I think it will be just fine! 😁

Anyway,

Thanks to @andy52 and my Obiwan ole @Einsiedler for advice and direction.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Respectfully,

RM

I enjoy the work, lots of fun. Learned a lot again,
I did read your entire post, just grabbed a short quote,,
With the work you put into that, it's easy to see the lessons you learned and I mean that as a compliment.
You have a knack for the task, and your gaining skills with the experiance, Thank's for sharing, 👍

Your bag looks great. The pillow tick lining gives it a finished look. It is far better than anything I can make.

I used up all my Hobby lobby leather on this one, no more scraps from now on. Have since acquired the proper materials to do this kinda work. Still need to work on the tools a bit. I enjoy the work, lots of fun. Learned a lot again, mainly I cant draw for doodoo! It was supposed to be a Hunters star but what went from paper to leather, got morphed some how or another. So, imagine that you are looking at a star with an 1830's spy glass and I think it will be just fine! 😁

Anyway,

View attachment 128949

View attachment 128950

View attachment 128951

View attachment 128952

Respectfully,

RM
It looks good, I especially like the decorative stitching it's a nice touch. A hunters star isn't the easiest geometric design to layout, I normally do all the layout work on a piece of heavyweight pasteboard
and when it's finished I cut it out and keep it as a template. I use an Exacto knife to cut the leather so I can keep the angles as clean as possible. Here is a bag flap I just started for a hunting buddy of mine.
IMGP1096.JPG

The biggest lesson for me this round was the lay out part and the relationship the seams play. I did not take it into account when I first started and I had to recut the front and back panels. I realized my mistake when I started sewing the back panel to the bottom and all the sudden things started looking smaller than they were supposed to be! Also, the material. I bought a roll of seconds at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago, shortly after I joined the forum. I didn't know what I was purchasing, It was nice colored leather and thats all ya need right?!?! LOL! Like I said, I learned a lot. I got the stitching idea from one of Einsiedler's Monrovian bags. Its about 8" tall and 9.5". The period is supposed to be 1830's not sure how close I am to that. There are those much more historically informed than I that can confirm or deny that claim. I am still happy with it and will sport it with pride!!! My .40 accessories will reside in this one.

Thanks again!

RM

Nice bag, and the neat part is you made it. That is one of the many parts of the craft that I enjoy. just about finished sewing my bag that I have been working on, then need to dye and treat the bag. Then to make a new set of accroutments turn screw, pliers, vent pick and wisk and chain for them powder measure, ball bag and what ever else I may decide. It will be a dedicated bag for a Christian Springs style .62 cal rifle.

IMO, you've done well.

Don't fret about what you perceive as "mistakes".

Most frontiersmen who made their own bags simply worked with tanned leather & sinew - they had neither the skill nor the tools to make what today we perceive as "perfect" bags/sheaths.

I hope you realize and appreciate the high level of work you did on that bag. I've made two bags but neither is anywhere near the quality of yours. Unfortunately I'm one of the few who does not learn from his mistakes; I keep making the same junky stuff as always.

any one besides me ever remember in the late 40's sleeping on a Pillo ticking pillow? the long on our bed was called a comforter. it went all the way across of the head of the bed. this was long before MY PILLOW!!

just forgot they were filled with GOOSE down feathers. and every once in a while a quill would pop through and you would have to pull it out. off subject, but I was raised with chairs that were filled with HORSE HAIR FILLING. now that would give you an ITCHY BUM!.

Anyway,

View attachment 128949

View attachment 128950

View attachment 128951

View attachment 128952

Respectfully,

RM
Looks great! What color/type of thread did you use? I've seen a fairly good facsimile of sinew available I may use for some accoutrements.
Neil

That looks fabulous. I like your use of the stitching for the strap as decoration too.
A note on leather bags, stitching: to use a square or rectangle with an X (our in your case the double S) aids in the strength and durability of the strap. To add even more weight bearing ability, cut a slot in the back of the bag and put the end inside to stitch down.
[I don't know why this is true, but I tested it with 4-5 oz and 7-9 oz leathers in the materials testing lab when I worked there.... I also found using two copper rivets made it so the main leather of the bag/case or the strap itself failed before the joint ever did]

With your decorative stitching, this would make the stitching really pop out and look even more sharp with the plus of having a bag able to carry about 50% more weight before failure... but I don't know what you'd want in a possible bag to weigh that much... 500, 75 cal round ball?

Latest posts

Back