• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backyard ranges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a range but it's not exactly in my backyard. I own 78 acres about 2 miles from my house. The property is unimproved no houses. water or electricity. but I do have a range there.
I have a bench for 100 yds and one for 50 yds. I use a portable bench for distances in between. When I built the range I had a friend that owns a skid steer build berms for me to be a little safer we just used dirt off the property.
The property is gated and locked and I only allow a very limited amount of people access to the range so I don't really worry about insurance.
Here are a couple of photos of the berms and target stands and one of the 4 acres
IMGP0941.JPG
IMGP0942.JPG
IMGP0942.JPG
of turnips I put out for the deer.

Attachments

• IMGP0940.JPG
    IMGP0940.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 37
I live and work in the city (a large metroplex growing ever larger), but my "backyard range" is at my 165-acre ranch less than 100 miles away where I have 2 shooting bays (bays denotes proper dirt berms), as well as a 950-yard long range with dirt berms every 100 yards for the steel targets
Sounds like a fun place to be !

Surprised there are no sandpits. That 's where I learned. Horseshoe shaped 30" cliffs on 3 sides.

that is literally all I "saw" for days when I vacationed in Utah just last month... my girlfriend certainly got tired of me pointing out every cut-out and slot canyon which would have made a perfect shooting bay

A few of us have been tossing around the idea of once again putting together another traditional muzzleloading club. I have a nice range for handguns-muzzleloaders out here on the farm with stations at 15,25, 35, 75 and 100yds. The insurance-liability factor was brought up so while making breakfast I went online looking for info. I spoke online to a few people and even watched videos of people putting together or shooting on their home ranges. One thing that really caught my eye was how often there are no backstops of any kind. People firing into the woods behind there homes. I asked about it to a few and was suprised (not really) about the absence of backstops. I recieved several answers of ( it's my property and anyone tresspassin deserves to be shot) or ( it's my neighbors land and he ain't livin thar and the brush is thick so who cares). Just really gets me, especially in these times how many people could really care less where that bullet or ball goes once it leaves the gun. Hell I'm so cheap I use several rows of soft woods like pine as a backstop so I can reclaim all that precious lead and re-cast it. Never did finish wading through the mumbo jumbo about using a range by a organized club. There, just had to throw some ramblings out there.
Just push a bunch of dirt up in a good pile with a front end loader.
If I was looking to reclaim lead, I'd stack old railroad ties and push some sand up against it. Sands great for getting lead back. I'd love to have a range I could go to to site in a new musket. I have to drive nearly an hour to get to a decent range. And to have it be private? That's worth the price of admission right there. I swear, if I see one more pack of hoodlums from the city shooting guns sideways.......... The range is self regulated (no range officer on site) so the thugs like it for acting out their latest gangsta fantasy. I usually just pack it up if it gets too stupid. Sometimes, somebody will ask an intelligent question and I will take the time to answer it but that's rare. Sure would be nice to drive a few minutes to a farm and plink a few shots off though.

I have a very nice pistol range on my property that I built down in a long gulley. The walls are 15 to 20 feet high. I had it setup as a walk through range with all steel targets. Never had a problem with bullets leaving the range. My range was private and I would let friends and family use it free of charge. They could use it only if I was there with them making sure they were using it safely. BUT the word gets out and people I didn't know would show up on my property asking to shoot and some just shooting without asking. One of my IDPA shooting buddies posted a video of himself shooting and commented how nice the range was and I didn't charge them to shoot and how appreciative he was. So everyone and their brother were asking to shoot. I had to shut it down and several people got mad when I wouldn't let them use it. So saying all that to say, ranges can cause a lot of different problems for you not just legal ones. "Kinda like a swimming pool, better to know someone with a pool than own a pool."

Here is my 100yd hemlock/white pine target. Getting my lead back is no problem. It also works great with my 1.25” bore cannon, but it eats up the logs quickly.
View attachment 109468
I have log walls set up like that all over about three rows deep with a row of stove length firewood up fron to pin targets too or hang gongs on front of. Very cheap and efficient.

Old car or truck tires stacked 5 or more tires deep and as high as you can reach then filled in and around with dirt and sand make a great main backstop , the tires help the mound hold its shape and stop the fill slumping in the rain , Then put up target frames in front , in the middle half , leaving a quarter out each side . . I have found the corflute signs used by politicians before elections and realtors sale signs make great holders to stick your targets on .

Last edited:
I have found the corflute signs used by politicians before elections and realtors sale signs make great holders to stick your targets on .

I’ve heard they make great a striker for a fire kit as well…

My range at home is just a hillside that runs across my property…..

5ED83BAF-0F0C-43CD-BA35-6DFF791D6267.jpeg

Sometimes with live action targets!

I have a range at my place, it has markers every 25 yards to 100 yards with a hill as a back stop. Problem is waiting on the cows and deer to wander off of it. I try not to shoot on the weekends and bother folks in the area.

I have a range at my place, it has markers every 25 yards to 100 yards with a hill as a back stop. Problem is waiting on the cows and deer to wander off of it. I try not to shoot on the weekends and bother folks in the area.
Reminds me of years ago when I shot in the pasture my horses would come running to see if they could help. lol

Latest posts

Back