• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Backyard ranges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A few of us have been tossing around the idea of once again putting together another traditional muzzleloading club. I have a nice range for handguns-muzzleloaders out here on the farm with stations at 15,25, 35, 75 and 100yds. The insurance-liability factor was brought up so while making breakfast I went online looking for info. I spoke online to a few people and even watched videos of people putting together or shooting on their home ranges. One thing that really caught my eye was how often there are no backstops of any kind. People firing into the woods behind there homes. I asked about it to a few and was suprised (not really) about the absence of backstops. I recieved several answers of ( it's my property and anyone tresspassin deserves to be shot) or ( it's my neighbors land and he ain't livin thar and the brush is thick so who cares). Just really gets me, especially in these times how many people could really care less where that bullet or ball goes once it leaves the gun. Hell I'm so cheap I use several rows of soft woods like pine as a backstop so I can reclaim all that precious lead and re-cast it. Never did finish wading through the mumbo jumbo about using a range by a organized club. There, just had to throw some ramblings out there.

. . . . .One thing that really caught my eye was how often there are no backstops of any kind. People firing into the woods behind there homes. I asked about it to a few and was suprised (not really) about the absence of backstops. I recieved several answers of ( it's my property and anyone tresspassin deserves to be shot) or ( it's my neighbors land and he ain't livin thar and the brush is thick so who cares). Just really gets me, especially in these times how many people could really care less where that bullet or ball goes once it leaves the gun. . . . . .

I’ve noticed that also . . .

I told a friend that wanted a back-yard range, that one 6 yard load of bank-run gravel would serve him well . . .then, when he got too old to heft a rifle, he could have his wife spread it out on hollow spots in the yard!
That didn’t go over too well with her, but then . . . . .

I’m a big fan of trees, there’s no sense in blindly damaging a bunch of trees in the woods just because you are too lazy to make some backstops. Then the legal ramifications as well. Trespassing or not, I’d still reckon you could be sued for negligence if you were to shoot someone beyond your target.

i ran firing military firing ranges and advised foreign military in design and safe operation of firing ranges. Have also designed small civilian firing ranges. Testified in court against two individuals whose bullets left their properties and badly injured people. One went to jail.

IMO: Many gun owners have little or no perception what constitutes a safe firing range and little knowledge of firing range safety.

Firing ranges must be maintained. As years go by berms erode and slump, requiring replenishment. At my range i recently added two feet to the 50-75 yard berm and 18 inches to the 125 yard berm.

. . . . .IMO: Many gun owners have little or no perception what constitutes a safe firing range and little knowledge of firing range safety. . . . . . .

Yup . . .
Then there are the Arabs . . . .and their RECKLESS celebratory firing of their firearms into the air!!

Where the hell do they think their bullets are landing??

Knowing your backstop is basic stuff you must prove you know to get a hunting license. It is also included on safety tests to buy a gun.

Many people are plain stupid. Some are sociopath's who do not care about others or think about the consequences of their actions. Frankly a person who shoots without knowing their backstop is safe disserve whatever consequences they suffer.

Involuntary Manslaughter
Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of another human being without intent. Generally there are two types of involuntary manslaughter: (1) criminal-negligence manslaughter; and (2) unlawful-act manslaughter. The first occurs when death results from a high degree of Negligence or recklessness, and the second occurs when death is caused by one who commits or attempts to commit an unlawful act, usually a misdemeanor.

I living proof of being one behind a no backstop range! Praise God He was with me! As a high school kid, young and dumb my buddy and I were walking along the Missouri river. Being kids we were just having fun going through the gingle weeds and following the river. We saw no signs (that I can remember) telling us where we were. After a trek through the brush, trees and weeds we came to a nice open mowed area. Guess where we were?
Lo and behold we were downrange of shooting range, which fortunately for us was not being used at that moment.
Larry

A few of us have been tossing around the idea of once again putting together another traditional muzzleloading club. I have a nice range for handguns-muzzleloaders out here on the farm with stations at 15,25, 35, 75 and 100yds. The insurance-liability factor was brought up so while making breakfast I went online looking for info. I spoke online to a few people and even watched videos of people putting together or shooting on their home ranges. One thing that really caught my eye was how often there are no backstops of any kind. People firing into the woods behind there homes. I asked about it to a few and was suprised (not really) about the absence of backstops. I recieved several answers of ( it's my property and anyone tresspassin deserves to be shot) or ( it's my neighbors land and he ain't livin thar and the brush is thick so who cares). Just really gets me, especially in these times how many people could really care less where that bullet or ball goes once it leaves the gun. Hell I'm so cheap I use several rows of soft woods like pine as a backstop so I can reclaim all that precious lead and re-cast it. Never did finish wading through the mumbo jumbo about using a range by a organized club. There, just had to throw some ramblings out there.
Not exactly what you are looking for, but an interesting read. You may also want to contact the NRA for their opinion. https://files.nc.gov/ncdps/div/Prisons/Policy_Procedure_Manual/B-2-Firing-Range-Policy.pdf

Yup . . .
Then there are the Arabs . . . .and their RECKLESS celebratory firing of their firearms into the air!!

It ain't just the Arabs. You should be around Lawton, OK on New Year's Eve and 4 July. Found a couple while cleaning the gutters.

This commercial firing range is designed IAW the NRA "no blue sky" concept. It's overkill for disciplined shooters at a small home firing range.

No Blue Sky? | No Shooting Range Near Homes (p5hq.com)

Last edited:
Here is what you do to reduce liability. Make your Club into a LLC/ or Incorporate.
Hold a meeting and adopt a resolution to rent a range to hold shoots. Now,
your Farm then rents to the LLC the area where shooting occurs. As part of
Club membership, members execute a total release of liability to the Club and
to any contractor or landowner the club retains/leases from. Etc That is generally
the basics. A local lawyer can zip it all up for you. You can also incorporate
the farm but that might protect you personally-but not the Farm. Best of Luck.

Here is what you do to reduce liability. Make your Club into a LLC/ or Incorporate.
Hold a meeting and adopt a resolution to rent a range to hold shoots. Now,
your Farm then rents to the LLC the area where shooting occurs. As part of
Club membership, members execute a total release of liability to the Club and
to any contractor or landowner the club retains/leases from. Etc That is generally
the basics. A local lawyer can zip it all up for you. You can also incorporate
the farm but that might protect you personally-but not the Farm. Best of Luck.
Thank you, this is the type of stuff I was searching for on the internet before becoming sidetracked.

This or any other Internet forum is not the place to get legal advice on a gun range, or any legal matter. Every club with a gun range I have belong to over the years always seemed to rely on NRA for what meets the current standard for a range and insurance recommendations. Hiring legal expertise is another must, at least in my opinion. Do it correctly, and you should be covered. Wing it, and possibly lose everything you own. Wish you luck with your project.

NRA helped our club for over 50 years with design, etc. With over 900 members, eventually subdivisions encroached all around and some bullets ended up hitting houses far beyond eyesight. Thankfully, no person was injured. Bullets go a long way and do what seems to some, impossible things. I suggest starting with a really good aerial view at least a mile from the firing line. Then make plans.

NRA helped our club for over 50 years with design, etc. With over 900 members, eventually subdivisions encroached all around and some bullets ended up hitting houses far beyond eyesight. Thankfully, no person was injured. Bullets go a long way and do what seems to some, impossible things. I suggest starting with a really good aerial view at least a mile from the firing line. Then make plans.
The actual range itself is great and pretty desolute, the problem lies with the idea of sharing it with 6-12 people. I want to encourage others to shoot and my grown kids think that we and some local others should form a actual club ( we all pitch in together for a local history festival rondy in our town). I just don't know if making a formal club would be any different than haviong a few friends over to shoot once a month.

The actual range itself is great and pretty desolute, the problem lies with the idea of sharing it with 6-12 people. I want to encourage others to shoot and my grown kids think that we and some local others should form a actual club ( we all pitch in together for a local history festival rondy in our town). I just don't know if making a formal club would be any different than haviong a few friends over to shoot once a month.
Formal club vs having a few friends over to shoot when you are there? Which option do you have control over? Yep. That’s the answer.

You might see about a rider on your homeowner's/Farm policy. your agent might
coach you on that-- seeking to cover guests. I know that policies are now contracting.
For over 50 years I was involved in a profession prone to lawsuits. Besides that, I was
involved in many business ventures that posed liability risks. Something you may not know
is that automobile insurers (Like Geico) offer a general 1 million in liability coverage
cheap. I join your kids in recommending a club structure of some kind--and release
of liability. As was pointed out, nothing is gospel on these forums. You are dealing with
folks where you do not know the backgrounds of commenters, and cannot judge whether
they are qualified to speak on the topic at hand. That said, you can benefit from ideas
and cautions from all parties. I consider all advice on the forum. Would I perform,
say surgery on that advice--definitely not. But I will listen to all well meaning advice
because it is wisdom. proverbs: "In a multitude of counsellors is safety."

Last edited:
There are pros and cons to a Formal Club. You could get quantity discounts,
Unity of purpose and staying on the same page with rules is another. You will
get guidance and cautions in many places as you make your decision. As a
club you could explore alternative shooting arrangements as well. The NRA
has a membership level for clubs. I think that the first call I would make would
be to speak with my insurance agent. Do not count on good news, but
explore your possible protection/options etc.

I use old railroad ties, two layers with sand in between. 20 years and multiple thousands of rounds downrange, still holding together (except in the dead center which has been shot out and patched) Then this is all at the bottom of a pretty good sized hill which serves as a berm. Strangely enough, I have had rounds in coming over my head when we were using the range. Someone was shooting way high to get over that hill...

Back