• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ASM .36 brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at this, don`t know much about the older ones. Arbor looks worn, but is this a normal look for these?
Rest of the gun looks good other than the crud on the hammer. This is not in my hands, about 2900 km away from me. Recoil shield looks ok too
0008B436-2D48-4432-945A-DF9E431455BA.jpeg
F929787C-5D0F-43DF-ABF8-C2B1586F81EA.jpeg

The arbor, and everything else, looks good to me.

I have a few brass framed guns. Use sensible loads, and they will last a life time.

It's probably a good idea to load the cylinders off the frame in a press, although I never do.

Thanks much. The seller has an excellent rating on another forum, just waiting to see if there are any accesories included in the sale. Pretty cheap for north of the border, but we are also not experiencing the pinch as bad as you guys. Soon, yes, and maybe i`ll be sending mine south to you guys due to the political situation here, but no real shortage for now. Not very many of us that i`m aware of.

Last edited:
Your biggest concern at this point should be if the arbor is loose. Because if it is, the frame is junk. Very typical with older brass frame revolvers.

That can be repaired if one is willing to remove the arbor (via drilling out its anchor pin) and re-installing the arbor using Red Loctite and re-installing an anchor pin. Never said it would be easy or cheap. The frame would only be junk (and there is a spendy tedious repair for that) is if the front of the recoil shield has been battered due to excessive loads by the rear ratchet of the cylinder. Again, never said it would be easy or cheap.

It all depends upon your wallet and your desire to resurrect an old revolver.

Regards,

Jim

the stress / stretch is inflicted on the arbor when loading, not hot / heavy loads. as stated load it off of the gun.

Latest posts

Back