• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Army Police .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up an 1862 b&c army police .36 cal revolver the other day. Was an estate deal through a friend of a friend of the son of a friend of mine (yeah one of those). About 4 months ago he showed me this list of guns someone was trying to sell off and this pistol was listed for $50.00. I though for that price it don't have to be in very good shape so I said I would take it. I'd pretty much forgot about it when he called the other day and said he had the pistol. I went to get it after work and it is brand new never fired still in the box. I always hear about these deals but this is the first time it's ever happened to me.

Anyhow it's an Armi San Marco brand. Can anyone tell me anything about these? Are they any good or should I have kept my $50.00?

I've got a couple of ASM revolvers, and while not as well finished as say a Uberti, they are good, functioning, serviceable guns. For $50 you done good! I don't think you will be disappointed. Emery

Good find, I would like to find a 36 to carry when I go woodsbumming. Alot of two legged varments cookin stuff in the woods around here these days.

Nice find! But I really dont think it was worth the money. So, just because I happen to have a bunch of xtra money lyin around I will help you out by buying it off you for the $50.00 you paid for it.

I always impress myself with how helpful I am! :rotf:

You did great.

I put together a Uberti 1862 police (6 1/2" barrel) kit back in the 1970s. It was/is a great pistol and for natural instinct shooting, (point & bang) I found it very accurate. A word of warning though, with full power loads, that little .36 devil roars like a lion and kicks like a mule.

Not sure about the 'army' in the description. The 1862 Colt .36 cal pocket revolver was sold in two major variations, the Pocket Police with a round barrel and the Pocket Navy with octagonal barrel.

The serial number is of little consequence. Look for a square stamp with two capital letters inside to see what year the gun was manufactured. Post those letters and we can tell you the year.

ASM (Armi San Marco) of Gardone, Italy operated until 2000, when they were purchased by American Western Arms. They ceased making c&b revolvers that same year.

Their reputation was for medium quality, inexpensive products. I have an ASM Walker that meets that description nicely. Fit and finish are not outstanding but the gun is very serviceable and functions as well as my Uberti Walker.

At $50 you got an excellent deal - it meets the urban legend criteria. The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms (Fifth Edition, 2007), says that it's worth about $200 in 100% condition. The BB is a guide, and prices can and do vary greatly from those numbers, but regardless of the market fluctuations $50 for that gun in the condition you describe is an excellent value. Well done. Hope you enjoy it.

Back