• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armisport Kentuckian: pop goes the nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I came by a .45 Armisport Kentuckian a little while ago that needed a few parts (trigger group and barrel screw). Having found suitable parts, I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago with a small blank charge, say 10gr of FFFG. In firing it I got some blowback. I assumed it was just the nipple wasn't as properly secured as it looked. So today, I screwed in the nipple as tight as it would get. And then loaded it with 35gr FFFG and a .447 Minie ball. I thought I was good to go.

Well...the Minie ball went but so did the nipple. Fortunately I came out unscathed. But the nipple was nowhere to be found. Oddly it looks like the threads of the part the nipple screws into look fine.

Anyone know the correct nipple to use for one of these old Armisports?

Cheers,

dgfd

Well there are probably members here that know what size it is. But if not, you could contact Deer Creek Priducts or Track of the Wolf. One of them should know. Good luck.

Hi If your rifle is Italian, It would have used a 6X.75 metric thread. Since yours blew out,maybe somebody opened it up to 1/4 X28 thread. You can force a 6X.75 nipple into a 1/4 X 28 hole but it will not be right and will not work. A question ,why did you use a mini ball in the rifle? A 440 round ball seems like a better option.
n.h.schmidt

Armsport (Miami, Florida) is the importer/marketer. It was most likely made by Investarm in Italy. If so, there should be a capital "I" inside a square stamped on it somewhere. Nipple thread is 6mmx.75mm. TOTW shows several nipples for Investarm rifles. They all have the 6mmx.75mm thread but vary in cone length, thread length, & overall length. The Lyman GPR nipple will also screw in as it was made by Investarm, as well. You may have to try several to get the right length that gives you the proper hammer strike angle. If your thread is not 6x.75 it has been altered & you should take it to someone you can measure the threads before firing it again.

Armsport (Miami, Florida) is the importer/marketer. It was most likely made by Investarm in Italy. If so, there should be a capital "I" inside a square stamped on it somewhere. Nipple thread is 6mmx.75mm. TOTW shows several nipples for Investarm rifles. They all have the 6mmx.75mm thread but vary in cone length, thread length, & overall length. The Lyman GPR nipple will also screw in as it was made by Investarm, as well. You may have to try several to get the right length that gives you the proper hammer strike angle. If your thread is not 6x.75 it has been altered & you should take it to someone you can measure the threads before firing it again.

Thanks for the advice. I got the gun as assembled kit. Just lock stock and barrel. Bo under barrel retaining screw, no trigger assembly, no ramrod. And as I learned an incorrect nipple.
So that's a convoluted way to say, I don think there was any work done to then drum.
Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreiit.
Cheers,
dgfd

It's definitely an Italian-made gun. It honk my best bet right now is to wait on the Lyman GPR I got coming in next week and see if it's nipple fits.
That's for all the helpful input, folks.
I'll update with progress notes.
Cheers,
dgfd

Back