• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ARMI SAN MARCO???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scalper said:
any one know if ARMI SAN MARCO pistols are.Italian or spanish? Also...HOW IS THE QUALITY?
fit and finish etc??? I need to know quick..
all responses are very welcome...I remember someone saying they are junk....???

Having read the replies it seams the consensus of their revolvers is not very good. Of the ASM revolvers that have come through the shop I have not noticed any excessive amount of problems over any other make.

As far as their rifles and pistols goes they are of better than average quality and usually very accurate.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I have an Italian Armi San Marco 1861 Enfield carbine and I love it. The quality is great. Can't vouch for the pistols though.

my 2¢

Armi San Marco is Italian,
I guess I must be just a lucky 1848 Baby Dragoon ASM owner then. Mine's of 1973 XX9 vintage and bought it on Gunbroker unfired. Very tight well finnished and shoots flawlessly, must a been a good year for ASM. hav also had a Dragoon ASM that worked and looked just like a Uberti. Last but not least Cimarron sold many ASM Open Top/1860/51 conversions were beautiful and worked just fine. Anyway I think I'll just pull my baby off the for sale market. I have seen the Uberti 1849 Baby Dragoons and for the $200 I'm askin' for mine I'd rather keep it than to pay $50 more for the Uberti to get another one. This ASM takes .315" balls not .323" like Uberti takes...I don't know, I just had a hard time letting all that was said go without any opposition. ASM in it's good day was as Good as Uberti today is. Luck of the draw I guess. Just sharin' mine.
The Colt Baby Dragoon was also made in 5". Stay away from Palmento Baby Dragoons if you stay away from anything.
And like I said I may just have been lucky with ever ASM I have run across...LoL!
I'd buy the ASM if the price was right.
15pps8y.jpg

Well. I may have to tune down my insolence in ref: asm quality. I still don't trust 'em but Smokin Guns experiences show that they have made some good ones.

looks like it depends on what vintage of pistol ya have...?? quality controll was probably on the decline...earlier ones being the best....I dont know....but I aint taken 50/50 CHANCE of having to re-work the whole thang.

Not sure. In the early years of c&b replicas, it seems like all the manufacturers were proud of their lack of quality contro. In the past few years, Uberti and Pietta have changed some of their manufacturing methods and seem to have actually improved quality.

One guy who deals with the Italian companies regularly told me that their operating theory is that American's are dumb enough to buy anything so why bother getting things right. The americans believe that the Italians like to drink their lunch, take long vacations and retire at age 50 with full pension. I suspect that there is both exaggeration and an element of truth in both steriotypes but I deny any intent to cast asperigus on or otherwise micturate upon either nationality.

Mec I can't say for sure that Co. like Pietta and Uberti monitor particular forums or various forums just as we do to collect info. Not only what we buy, but what we do to make our revolvers reliable and accurate... Pietta for instance got new machinery. They worked well anyway but I'm sure they tightened up their tolerances and quality control some too. I Like the Uberti '58 also, have one a each and a ASP '58, now if you find one a them on auction go for it. ASP/Euroarms are xlint reprductions...Mec you have a Remington original..I put my ASP '58 next to an original '58 and they were of identical size. Noted smaller than a Pietta and a Uberti but not that much, just noticable...xlint balance and feel. I'm lookin' to trade a 1873BP Uberti for a ASP/Euroarms '58 right now.
Mec I like what you said about ASM's that was very kewl... for you I'd trade that Baby Dragoon for a standard Pietta '58 in good shooting order wouldn't matter what it looks like, but from what I have seen of your Rev's I wouldn't need to worry.
I'm tempted to send it to you just so you can see and shoot a good ASM...LoL!

Just as happy to learn about good asms from your experiences. I'm also convinced about the euro-arms armi San Paulo having tested some euroarms long guns. I notice in looking over an original Remington .36 "navy" that they are scaled down a bit from the Uberti replicas. I didn't have them side by side for comparison but that was the appearance of it.

Tha BOSS tells me that ASM runs about 80/20 on tha revolvers, that is 80% is questionable ta horrible an 20% o.k. ta good. NOT good odds.

In case anyone needs such, Deer Creek has ASM parts.

I own a Colt Type Third Model Dragoon and an 1860 Army. Both of which have given years of Faithful service. The Dragoon was bought from a company that was a clearing house for Navy Arms back in the early 1980's.

CP

I have one of their revolvers. Bought at a gun show for $70.00 with powder flask, pouch, nipple wrench. I've shot it about 100 times with no problems. Fit and finish were poor but so was the condition of the gun when I bought it. I needed a part for the loading lever and VTI supplied me with a Uberti part that worked just fine. If the price was right, I might buy another. :v

Howdy Folks,
I have a few ASM revolvers and shoot four on a regular basis. I also own and shoot Piettas and don't find that much difference in quality between the two makers. The sights on the adjustable sight model 1858s are stronger on the ASM than the Pietta. Me, I am sad that Colt put ASM out of business because I like them.
After looking for a year and a half, I have found a supplier for Armi San Marco revolver parts. CVA sent me to them when I was looking for parts for CVA revolvers.

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182
(765) 525-6181

They have no internet site or e-mail. So you have to call them. I have order parts for revolvers from the little Colt .31 cal up to the Walker.
Every thing I ordered came in correct.
Excellent Folks to deal with. :thumbsup:
Good Luck,
Lee

Thanks for the parts info. I have a ASM 1860 Colt Army that I built from a CVA kit 20 years ago. Losing my timing after shooting about 25 rounds is the only problem I have had. I load 30 grains of Pyrodex and that gun is very accurate.

I'm new to this website, but not to BP shooting. Started it back when all you could buy was an original so I'm telling my age! Anyhow as far as Armi San Marco goes I only have one, a 3rd Model Dragoon that I bought way back when----30 yrs ago?

I like it!! Shoots just as good as any of my other C&B revolvers-which include Uberti and Pietta.

BTW, the most accurate rev I own is an original '51 Navy Colt that was made in 1869. The bore is about perfect with some light salt and pepper pitting on the lands only. I do n't shoot it anymore; its "stashed away" for safe keeping.

This is a nice website and was glad to discover it.
You guys all seem to be good guys!

Just call me dryball.

Welcome to the camp. Feel free to jump in with any info you have to share. Or any question you might have too.

I've owned their Walker wished I had that one back,and I have a Hartford 45 cartridge revolver.Never had any
issues with either of them and I shoot a lot.......

I've got no doubt that just about everyone on this forum is more knowledgeable than me, but I had to respond to this one. I've got an ASM '60 Colt Army .44 repro (fluted cylinder) that I bought back in '79 or '80. Admitedly I've got to tinker with it a bit - I've had to file a new hand about every two years to keep the timing right - but with the exception of a few replacement springs it's blown smoke and punched paper (and a few other things) faithfully since then. In fact, I took it out last week and was just as happy with it as I was back in the day. Maybe more so. (Like an old pal, y'know?)
I feel somewhat the same way but recentley acquired a CVA 1851 brasser by Armi San Marco date code BB , the only thing noticed is the grip seems quite large for 1851, suits my large hands looks well made and shoots well. the workmanship is good inside and out.
I also have a Euroarms by ASM in Remington navy ,also very nice worksmanship in and out. Unlike most I have read about it is not physically sized same as new army and does not have the frame cutaway with barrel threads showing. I have noy yet shot this pistol so cant coment on that aspect. I purchased each of these pistols from members and am pleased with them , members and pistols.
After reading this forum title in its entirety I would not hesitate to buy another ASM , but only if handeling and examining first.
These two were bought through the forum and the actual producer was not indicated only CVA or Euroarms so examination may be required.

Unless someone is going to GIVE you one, don't bother. Even then i would think twice before taking it. They are JUNK. I have bought a few of them and everyone of them had serious problems. Loose cylinder pin, loading lever catch fell off as i took one out of the box, balls would not stay in the chambers on one of them, even when they shaved lead loading them, timing way off, etc. Buy a Pietta or an Uberti. The Uberti's cost more, but are well made.
I wonder when they were made?

My ASM Remington 1858 is a peach... but it was bought in 1979. In fact it had a dovetailed front sight post, not the post-in-the-hole that you find in 1858 Remingtons today, which allowed me to drift it a teeny tiny bit, and it's dead-nuts on target now.

LD

Back