• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Arizona Hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFP308

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK heres the deal. Moved here with my wife, who grew up in Apache Junction, three years ago. We live near Tucson. For years I had heard stories of the families annual deer hunting trips and was excited to be involved. Unfortunately the stories that the trips were more about camping with guns was only to true. I had deer hunted in California when I was in high school on Tejon Ranch, a big corprate ranch south of Bakersfield, and got my share of deer. Now after three seasons and a trip north for an elk hunt near Flagstaff I'm starting to get the idea that to get a shot at anything I have to change my game. At this point I have to start all over. I'm looking for any sugestions. I would like to hunt deer and, when the Gods smile and I get drawn, for elk with PRB and a soon to be had GPR 54. The only deer that I have seen have been at least 250 yards and headed to Mexico, the elk are MIA so far, well almost my wife saw three bulls in a downtown Flagstaff park while we were out chasing our butts. Help!

Mike

With both mule deer and whitetail in the desert, the big trick is seeing them before they see you. Their camo is excellent. After that, stalking is problematic but do-able. In the high country up around Flag and into the Mogollon/Kaibab areas it's usually easier to see mule deer and elk, but we're back to stalking.

In my experience in both types of hunting, the best investment is in learning the habits and areas used by other hunters, then make your own plans to avoid them altogether. If you are willing to walk and hit the rough stuff, you will find animals in greater numbers as well as less spooked by idiots on 4-wheelers and jeeps. If you can find and are willing to go into areas where neither can go, your hunting will improve immediately.

Not to offend ORV enthusiasts, but those are the facts of life when it comes to finding stalkable game.

Thanks BrownBear. I have been considering doing some back country primitive camp hunting. I have noticed that most hunters love to walk all over each other and show off the new atv. Arizona isn't the easiest terrain to traverse but not impossible either. As long as I'm not on the reservation the bears haven't been to freindly either. I'll tell you about a fishing trip to the Black River on the Apache Resevation some time.

Mike

I do want to get better at stalking also. I know that practice is the only true means to that end but does anybody have a good souce for instruction and tachtics?

Mike

I see deer all the time! And usually at 75 yards or less. The brush is not tall down here in the SE corner, but it is thick -- we don't get those long range fields of fire you guys have down in the valley or up on the rim. The trick is to pick the time and the place. I see most of them at the usual dawn and dusk move to water hours, but I also see them right at mid-day, when I look in the right place. Even in the winter (especially early season) they get down in the washes to shade under the oaks and hackberries. And if there is a little breeze, I can usually stay quiet enough walking in the sand to get within about 50 yards of them before they stand and bolt.

But those suckers know when I have a tag and when I don't have a tag.... yep, they get scarce when they know they are being hunted!

Down in this corner we have mostly mules, but there are some whitetail. As you know, an ML hunt tag gets you "any antler," so the field opens a bit. Your ML on a regular rifle hunt gets you no special privileges so you have to be game specific.

As far as stalking -- practice! And pick your ground. Sandy washes are where they are in mid-day, and the easiest place to sneak up on them. The thick brush means short lines of sight and the sand helps keep things quiet. I go down stream when possible (they seem to naturally focus their attention downstream, so I come on them from above), and walk as slowly as I can manage even when no deer are in sight. If I see them first I can usually get pretty close (25 yards or so).

Sometimes they are already looking dead at me when I first see them. Freeze! And if close enough with a clear line of sight, slowly shoulder your rifle (or simulate if off-season practice) and try to get on target before he bolts. It is a challenge, but lots of fun even when only practicing.

Good luck!

and as a post-script -- of course, I have no idea how many smell me long before I come around the bend and have already skeedadled!

And another postscript to add this pic I made Dec 2005 -- right in the middle of early season. They just stood there looking at me! I don't know how they know, but they know when I don't have a tag. About a dozen mulies, about 50 yards away, about a half-hour before sunset. At least three of them had antlers.

deer_windmill.jpg

MikeF said:
I do want to get better at stalking also. I know that practice is the only true means to that end but does anybody have a good souce for instruction and tachtics?

Mike
Tom Brown has a book called Feild guide to nature observation and tracking.It has some good stuff on stalking in it.

I got the same luck as you. I see more deer going to and from where I hunt as opposed to when i am hunting. :surrender:

YOu are moving too fast, and making too much noise. Learn to move as slow as a tree. You will see more, and get more shots.

Sorry Paul hunting from vehicles is illegal here in Ohio......... :rotf: I usually just sit in one place for a while. We finally sound a good spot to hunt this year. Just my buddy and me. no one else to ruin the fun.

Its getting to the place you sit quietly that is what you are failling to do, and what I am trying to warn you about. If you don't hear the birds chirping, the wind whispering in the trees, and the sounds of distant ranches, highways and livestock, you are moving too fast. It doesn't help to sit quietly on the stand if you made so much noise going to your stand that you have alerted every animal within a half a mile of your presence.

You have to always be cognizant of the wind direction, you need to use something- baking soda, dust, weeds from the area where you begin your walk to the tree stand, ashes, if its warm enough to hunt without a shirt, etc. to conceal your own body odor.

You have to be aware of the odors you take in with you in your gear, your gun, the food you take, and even the drinks you carry in. A masking odor is in order, too. But be smart about using these odors. A small animal like a fox is not oging to leave gallons of scent along a trail. So don't overdo pouring on the fox scent. If foxes are not native to the area you are hunting, use a scent of an animal that is native to the area. Don't use pine scents as a mask if you are hunting in oaks. Don't use apple scent if there isn't an apple tree within 100 miles.

If you scout the territory by reading the tracks, you can find natural funnels that you can set a stand up on to increase your chances of getting both a sighting and a shot at your game. Study the deer during the off season, to learn more about where they go, when they go there, and why they go there. The most successful hunters put in many hours observing deer, and studying tracks and sign long before the season opens. Those are the hunters who are bringing in the local monster bucks on opening day, within a few hours of when the season opens.

Az I'm still new to the state and unfortunately haven't gotten the chance to look around the Cochise county area. I do intend to because I have heard some good things about it.

Paul I do move to fast your right. Practice would help a great deal. Fortiunately we are close to some wash areas that sill have javalina, I'll be practicing on them. Also I intend to read more, Brun thanks for the Tom Brown recomendation, about paterning and general dear behavior. One day I hope to be a successful hunter.

Thank you all for your help. I am always looking to learn from those qwho know more and are willing to share.

Mike

Back