• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started planting one last year but always did when we lived in Eastern ky. I truly love working in the garden when I get off work, give you time to unwind.

Attachments

• 20210609_173946.jpg
    20210609_173946.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 26
We had a late frost, too. Luckily I don't plant until second week of April. Got the pepper garden ready. Dug in chicken-manure-laced mulch, fertilizer and lime (have to have the lime for the soil here). Landscape fabric topped with straw between the rows keeps the roots cool in summer and slows water loss due to our sandy soil. Got Costa Rican Sweets; Thai hots; Panamanian bird peppers and a few herbs ready to go. They will produce until November/December's first frost.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 20
I till my garden with the tractor, then lay rows out in 3ft. For squash, bell peppers and all individual plants I take a gas hole digger and and auger a hole about a foot deep then fill with Black Cow. Most plants will cover the 3ft row and shade out weeds. When I till with my rear tine tiller for weeds I go behind with fertilizer, then take a garden rake and pull the dirt with fertilizer up the plants to elevate the row. Works for me

I had intended to finish out my pepper row with some California Wonders (bell peppers).But a new variety caught my eye at the local nursery.These new ones are called 'Yolo Wonder'.They are a new improved strain of the California Wonder and said to have greater disease resistance. So I put 4 in the ground and got my fingers crossed.

I had intended to finish out my pepper row with some California Wonders (bell peppers).But a new variety caught my eye at the local nursery.These new ones are called 'Yolo Wonder'.They are a new improved strain of the California Wonder and said to have greater disease resistance. So I put 4 in the ground and got my fingers crossed.
Eutycus,
What kind of yields do you get with the California wonders? Are you in the 'hot and dry' part of Texas or the 'hot and humid' part? NE

Eutycus,
What kind of yields do you get with the California wonders? Are you in the 'hot and dry' part of Texas or the 'hot and humid' part? NE
I've had pretty good luck with California Wonders.I guess about 4 or 5 peppers per plant. My luck 2 of my favorites , Tomatoes and Bell Peppers, are both in the nightshade family. Guess what the Dr. told me to try and avoid? Nightshade plants are said to irritate arthritis and another problem I'm having. Oh, I'm in the hot and humid part of Texas.

We haven't had the pleasure of a garden in many years. I've missed garden grown vegetables. For quite a while we were still getting a lot from my grandparents and a few others. That is no more. Both grandparents had very large gardens and mom's folks did a lot of canning. We had a small one when I was a kid.

Anyway,,,,,
I want to grow these,20220409_093310.jpg
in plastic storage tubs. The only sunny places I can use in the yard, the dog has access to and he will dig them up.
Any advice?
Tips on what to use for, and where to get, good soil?
Other tips?

Thanks

We haven't had the pleasure of a garden in many years. I've missed garden grown vegetables. For quite a while we were still getting a lot from my grandparents and a few others. That is no more. Both grandparents had very large gardens and mom's folks did a lot of canning. We had a small one when I was a kid.

Anyway,,,,,
I want to grow these,View attachment 133102
in plastic storage tubs. The only sunny places I can use in the yard, the dog has access to and he will dig them up.
Any advice?
Tips on what to use for, and where to get, good soil?
Other tips?

Thanks
I suggest pole beans rather than bush beans. Take up less space, easy to pick. Once they start climbing, only the bottom of the plant's in jeapordy. Don't know about carrots. Taters can be grown in buckets, just dump 'em out when you harvest. Only problem we have with digging dogs is when they're after mice/voles/moles, mostly in mulch.

Thanks. I guess I should have read the package better, thought they would climb like the peas. Impulse purchase.
Too much of a rush to get the heck out of the store and away from the people.

We use a couple of different types of raised bed / planters. We like the growing bags with handles on them. Seems they always need to be moved at some point during the summer and the handles let you drag them around. Wheeled planter boxes are nice if the area is paved (we use them on the porch).
The sites below can give you some ideas on what's available or could be built. Whatever container is used it needs to be well drained and allow for air to get to the roots. We fill ours with a mix of Walmart composted cow manure and potting soil, which helps keep the weeds down. The Miracle Grow brand does seem to help, but you can always fertilize any soil with the fertilizer of your choice. A durable planter can be made from a watering trough, like what you find at Tractor Supply. You can raise it on legs or wheels to keep the dog out of it. You would need to add drain holes to a water trough. We are thinking about using a Tractor Supply Galvanized trough, raising it on legs, and using planter bags in it. Gets the plants off the ground (no bending over), the bags allow more flexibility than filling the tube with soil and they provide excellent air circulation. If any disease developes you can remove the one bag, instead of loosing the whole planter. You can spend as little or as much as your budget supports, by building or recycling materials. Hope this helps, NE
Cedar Raised Beds, Fabric Raised Beds, Planters | Johnny's Selected Seeds
Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More
Fabric Pots - Organic Growers Supply

Back