• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are you still growing your Garden?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet the Wiri Wiri peppers are good!! Where did you get the plants?

You need to look for them online and they will "overnight" them. I will probably get seeds too and see if I can get them to work.
You end up with little red and green single-o buckshot sized berries. For the first split second when you bite into one, you get a lemony almost strawberry hint....then detonation happens.... 🔥
BUT they are pretty unique in flavor, and there are some Guyanese dishes that my mother-in-law and her sisters can taste and tell if Wiri Wiri were used.
I don't do hot peppers... I'm very much a Celt. BUT for some odd reason I've become quite good at making hot pepper relish and hot pepper jam, and people expect it every Thanksgiving, Christmas, superbowl... so the guy who can't eat the stuff and has to MOP-4 mask-up to cook it, ends up making it. 😦

LD

Possibly senile
You're quite possibly correct on that senile thing but in my defense I was kind of returning a favor. I bought a holster and the belt loop stitches were comming apart.I didn't find the defect until I got home (an hour away) . That nephew was in that town the next day and exchanged it for me. It was against my nature but I felt that I had to be nice.

Last edited:
Last week we replanted the hedges (boxwoods) at our church that froze last year. Some made a slow comeback but some didn't. We just ripped them all out and gave them all the same start. I have no experience at all with hedges,so be patient.

Waiting for the warmer weather here, but...doing tomatoes, potatoes, dill, catnip, and peppers this year, Doing the tomatoes and potatoes in buckets this year(prepping experiment).

Sadly..........I still don't know if I'm going to plant one. August of Last summer ,we had a straight line wind storm so severe , my 10 tomato plants , four bell peppers left , were all full of fruit , and smashed level with the ground. Stakes and cages broken off and down. 60 foot cherry tree on the ground in the front yard. Lotsa tops , and brush to clean up , and burn. Took 6 weeks to clean up. Don't know if I'm up to it any more. Wife says , Yes , my love of beef steak tomatos , says yes , we will see. Been doing a garden for near 70 years , and hate to stop. Destruction like that , makes me want to just stay in the shop and build m/l guns.

Too cold here in Michigan to be too serious about the garden yet. I have a bunch of new berry bushes in pots in a cool unused room in the house. They will get planted in late April or so.

Mid April I will put in Kale and peas. May is when the main garden goes in although it is hard to wait until then!

Alot of the farmers around here have gone to minimum tillage, do you think it would work on a garden as well?That "relaxing hobby" is alot of work to someone who's been on this planet for over 70 years.

Alot of the farmers around here have gone to minimum tillage, do you think it would work on a garden as well?That "relaxing hobby" is alot of work to someone who's been on this planet for over 70 years.
If you're talking about "no till" around here, you're talking anhydrous ammonia, highly engineered corn/soybeans, roundup, crop-dusting planes, chemicals with pages of warnings, etc. Not in my garden plan.

No till for parts of our garden means mulch, "Preen" in some parts, and plastic sheeting - depending on what plants we're talking about. Sometimes the above works, sometimes it don't. We do some sorta "organic" stuff - various mulches, cover crops, etc. but mostly it's up to mother nature that decides what harvest will be, not Monsanto.

Seems that most of the no/low till is reliant on glyphosate, which is pretty clearly established as a carcinogen these days in addition to severely altering gut flora that comprise the bulk of our immune system. I'd definitely want to avoid that.

I suppose there are other systems such as using large quantities of mulch (wood chips being one I've seen) to suppress weeds, but the all seem to me like more work than plowing/tilling.

There are a ton of gardening/farming tips in "Buffalo Bird Woman's Garden," that obviously don't use chemicals.
Yes, the ground needs to be prepped, but that is what 17 year old boys who want to earn gas money are for, find one or three.
My impression is that they weeded once, early on after planting, and because they did not use horse or buffalo/bison manure as fertilizer, then had very few if any weeds after that.
I am working from memory here so you should read it yourself.

Cold country is a trip compared to growing stuff down south. But on the bright side nothing gets burned out of the ground around here either. 🤣
Our veggie growing area has been a 32 foot by 8 foot tall cage constructed to keep the critters at bay and the foot print is expanding this year.
Been working on planters and preps. Got more trellis building to get done.
Need to rebuild the composting operation for better efficiency, to go from piles to trenches. Thinking about using visqueen over trenches to go for a localized capture on solar heating. Perhaps could cut down processing to less than one year instead of two years.
Brought the supplies in from storage last night for the annual conversion of the hobby room into a seedling nursery.

Starting a potato experiment this year with seeds from last year's vines. Had three kinds to cross pollinate. The plan is to grow some plants from the seeds and see if there's a stock produced that particularly likes it here and is worthy of perpetuating.

Back