• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are there any of these available?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for information on if there's any replacement barrels for the Lyman Great Plains Rifle in small bore. Say like .45 cal, .36 cal or even .32 caliber. I'm hoping someone out there makes them or has them. No doubt a smaller bore would turn an already a heavy rifle into an even heavier one, but I am interested to find out anyway.

Drop ins are not as readily available now as in the past. Rice and Oregon Barrel can probably make one up for you. If you find one for a TC, they are easily converted to fit the GPR.

Lastly, you can build it yourself. All components are readily available EXCEPT the patent breech plug.

Drop ins are not as readily available now as in the past. Rice and Oregon Barrel can probably make one up for you. If you find one for a TC, they are easily converted to fit the GPR.

Lastly, you can build it yourself. All components are readily available EXCEPT the patent breech plug.
Indeed. I have looked but have not found a drop in barrel. I have considered contacting a few places to inquire as to if one could be made. However, I would think it would be costly. But then again, the rest of the GPR is flat out awesome. And considering no one that I know of makes such rugged and great looking ML's such as those, it might be worth it. I have never shouldered any rifle in my entire life that holds so steady from an offhanded, standing position.

Indeed. I have looked but have not found a drop in barrel. I have considered contacting a few places to inquire as to if one could be made. However, I would think it would be costly. But then again, the rest of the GPR is flat out awesome. And considering no one that I know of makes such rugged and great looking ML's such as those, it might be worth it. I have never shouldered any rifle in my entire life that holds so steady from an offhanded, standing position.
Jason at Rice Barrels makes drop in barrels for TC’s. I’m told they will fit the GPR rifles. I don’t KNOW that to be true but he could tell you.

Jason at Rice Barrels makes drop in barrels for TC’s. I’m told they will fit the GPR rifles. I don’t KNOW that to be true but he could tell you.

They are pretty easily adapted. I did one quite a few years ago. If memory serves it involved removing the single underlug and installing two to fit the GPR wedges and changing the under rib for the correct size. I installed staple underlugs made from nails and soldered the underrib.

If I were doing it again I would still do the nail staples but would not solder the under rib. I soldered because the rib used came from a GPR barrel that had been soldered on at the factory.

They are pretty easily adapted.
Yes they are,
Along with what you did there's a bit more,
The section of the breech plug that fit's over the lock plate needs to be widened a bit and there's usually a little work that needs to be done for the breech hook/tang to fit well.
Both simple enough to do,,
T/C barrels and drop-in's can be made to fit the Lyman/Investarms rifles.

The section of the breech plug that fit's over the lock plate needs to be widened a bit
That wasn't necessary for my refit. The GPR lock plate was a perfect fit to the contours of the breech plug.

And yes, there was a bit of fiddling with a file for the log to tang fit but amounted to a total of 15 or 20 minutes.

That wasn't necessary for my refit. The GPR lock plate was a perfect fit to the contours of the breech plug.

And yes, there was a bit of fiddling with a file for the log to tang fit but amounted to a total of 15 or 20 minutes.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Back