• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are Muzzleloader's Weapons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost, you make a point the NRA stresses with modern firearms--don't ever call them weapons because that lends support to those who want to ban or confiscate them. I disagree respectfully with you and the NRA on this one. I have an inalienable, God-given right as a free man to bear arms, which are by definition weapons, not curios or relics, and the Constitution gives government no power to tell me what weapons I may or may not own. I think reasonable men who love their rights can differ on this, but I think we make a mistake when we conceed "weapons" to government control hoping to save muzzleloaders, or target pistols or hunting rifles or shotguns. Even Charles Shumer and Ted Kennedy are smart enough to figure out, sooner are later, that muzzleloaders were lethal enough to win our first revolution, and we really cannot be trusted to be good slaves until they take away even relics and curios capable of shooting back at them. I don't know what yours are--mine are weapons and I use the term advisedly and proudly.

Anything can be used as a weapon. Inanimate objects cannot carry the burden of making moral decisions and cannot therefore be held responsible for such actions.

I would guess that the 'weapon' thought really depends upon the intended use. Untill it is used a muzzleloader is only an object.

Funny thing is, is that the muzzleloader that I shoot targets with could be considered a weapon, but I'm not using it to harm anybody. Is it a weapon then?

If I threaten somebody with words (printed or spoken) to the point where an individual feels threatened, then is that a weapon? Could be.

As for the Gubment and their take on it.....well, they are only concerned with control to satisfy a an end: power. At some point in time, they could consider anything a weapon: internet, speech, property, personal affects, print....what have you.

Sometimes I just feel like I'm the bug splat on the windshield of life.

Ghost, you make a point the NRA stresses with modern firearms--don't ever call them weapons because that lends support to those who want to ban or confiscate them. I disagree respectfully with you and the NRA on this one. I have an inalienable, God-given right as a free man to bear arms, which are by definition weapons, not curios or relics, and the Constitution gives government no power to tell me what weapons I may or may not own. I think reasonable men who love their rights can differ on this, but I think we make a mistake when we conceed "weapons" to government control hoping to save muzzleloaders, or target pistols or hunting rifles or shotguns. Even Charles Shumer and Ted Kennedy are smart enough to figure out, sooner are later, that muzzleloaders were lethal enough to win our first revolution, and we really cannot be trusted to be good slaves until they take away even relics and curios capable of shooting back at them. I don't know what yours are--mine are weapons and I use the term advisedly and proudly.
:RO:

Do you consider muzzleloading rifles and pistols weapons?

This could turn into the "Hair Splitting Olympics". :)

Let's start with what the dictionary says: "Weapon: An instrument of attack or defense."

IMHO, there are two things that can make something a "weapon".

1. It was designed as a weapon, such as a gun, bomb, missile, etc.

2. Anything that is used "as a weapon" is, at that moment, a weapon.

Some might say that a gun is not a weapon until it's used. If that works for them, fine. Those are the hairs I don't need to split.

I know a weapon when I see one. :peace: ::

if the anti-gun crowd is reading this, they must be laughing their asses off.

Is my gun a weapon?
Is my weapon a gun?
If it falls over in the forest and goes off, but nobody heard it, is it still a weapon? :crackup:

If you use your muzzleloader in a crime, you'll find out real fast what it is. Antique, relic, firearm, whatever. Make no mistake - It's a "deadly weapon" under the law.

Ever notice that the 'anti-gunners' happen to be the 'anti-anything' crowd?

Can't eat meat, because it would mean that an animal may die (and that's not nice)

Can't wear fur because an animal might die (and that's not nice)

Can't keep score at some sporting events because some team may loose and get their feelings hurt (and that's not nice)

That's so damned depressing I'm gonna have a beer, maybe two, maybe three. I could have a bunch and become a slobbering drunk, staggering all over the place, barf on my dog, maybe fall over and crack my skull so that I end up in the hospital (and that's not nice)

Whether a ML is a weapon or not depends on intent, a baseball bat is not a weapon until the intent is there to use it as one. Since we don't often engage in gunfights with our ML's they are generally not used as weapons.:blah:

ROUNDBALL
SIGN READS
.... CAUTION
Precision Tuned Lead Delivery Systems
CAUTION.jpg

Whether a ML is a weapon or not depends on intent, a baseball bat is not a weapon until the intent is there to use it as one. Since we don't often engage in gunfights with our ML's they are generally not used as weapons.:blah:

Some people would say that the original intent for making the item has a lot to do with it's definition.

A bat was not originally designed to kill, but a gun was. Semantics can't redefine what a gun is.

"A muzzleloader IS a weapon if the intent is there to do harm with it, otherwise it is a tool..."
Mr. Musketman,
Granted I wasn't using a muzzleloader at the time but my weapon was merely a tool of my trade.....Sorry, couldn't help myself and no offense intended.
:eek:
Best Wishes

I can understand the NRA wanting us to not refer to them as weapons to avoid stirring up the anti crowd.
It really aggravates me to have to be careful what I say around idiots like the anti/peta/treehugger bunch.
I really believe that everyone who enjoys shooting sports needs to band together and be more vocal. We need to hang together or we will hang seperately. I don't own a .50BMG rifle but I will oppose those who want to ban them.
I also believe strongly that the best way to avoid having children being injured or killed by forearms is firearm training. A teen who goes shooting won't be as tempted to play with one.
Ok, rant off. I know I'm preaching to the choir.
Jim

my bess was'nt made for hunting ,it was made for killing it is a TOOL of war . when i hunt with it it is a tool. when my forfathers killed with it it was a Weapon ! and im willing to use it as my ancestors did ! game or tyrants lead um to the left then pull the hook

Some people would say that the original intent for making the item has a lot to do with it's definition.

A bat was not originally designed to kill, but a gun was. Semantics can't redefine what a gun is.

By that logic then....what was the original intent of blackpowder when the chinese first made it??

Imo..the rock in your garden is a potential weapon...that said...try taking a nail file on a airplane. I've also heard they won't allow one to take a fingernail clipper. I dunno..maybe that tiny little file on it might be used to perform heart surgery on some unwilling passenger. Truthfully...imo..this whole thread could go on forever..all semantics.

Right on Blahman! The more I read of your posts, the more I like the way your mind works!!

When it comes down to it, the semantics don't change what the muzzleloader IS, but they can change how society TREATS it.

How about "High Speed Lead Injection System" as what we call them? After all, the use that we have for them is to inject lead into paper, or to cause high speed lead poisoning in unsuspecting game.

According to the Dictionary, a resounding "yes". In my opinion, anything that extends force beyond the human body can be a weapon. To project force! I am sure of many who fought in combat, even when empty the muzzleoader was still very deadly at close quarters!

Main Entry: 1weap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back