• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are movie prop revolvers fully functional reproductions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that one was? I never cared for Alex Baldwin,(spelling)? I do feel sorry for him this time. Killing someone is something you never forget and the one thing you try hardest to get out of your mind. He can use our prayers!
He gets no sympathy from me.
I remember him raggin’ on a police officer some time back who had to shoot and kill a suspect; asking how it feels to know you have taken someone’s life.
He has always been rabidly anti-gun and I read somewhere that he has been opposed to the Boy Scouts and others getting and teaching firearms safety classes.
Appears he could have used one of those classes and taken it to heart.
He needs to man-up and take responsibility.
Those are things are not in his DNA I’m guessing. Or his lawyer’s either, guessing again.

Well yikes. I didn't hear that. That sounds particularly awful. Having seen my fair share of abdominal gsw's and stabs, that's a pretty painful way to go.
There was a lot of dissent prior to the accident about the production crew complaining about working conditions and fatigue. Apparently several union members walked off the job, including the firearms Prop Master. Some non-union people were brought in to replace them. If what I just stated is true, Baldwin’s attorneys will be trying to shift the blame on the non-union people when in the end Baldwin should carry the burden of responsibility for his own actions.
This thing could play out into any one of several possibilities, including deliberate sabotage because of the walk-out. Even if something like that happened Baldwin should have done the visual check of the chambers as soon as he took possession of the gun anyway.

Last edited:
Someone fired one and the primer went off and propelled the bullet into the barrel of the revolver where it got stuck.

The gun was then used for another scene without checking that the barrel was clear. I guess nobody wondered where one of the bullets had gone from the homemade squib rounds when they unloaded it. With the bullet still stuck in the barrel, the gun was then loaded with blanks and fired at Lee from about 15' away, which shot out the stuck bullet and killed him.

That is similar to the shooting at a Gettysburg Reenactment. A reenactor came over from overseas, and so could not bring his BP guns. His American host lent him a rifled musket and New Model Army Remington. The problem was there had been a squib load fired from that same revolver, and the owner had not cleared the barrel. So when the owner lent the revolver to the guest reenactor with a cylinder with blank loads, the first round was actually live, and a guy on the other side got hit..., didn't die though, thank to Heaven.

LD

That over seas guy must have felt terrible. It's funny but even though I'm the only one handling my shotgun I always check the bore before shooting my modern thing at skeet.

Im still puzzled as to who and why , the live round, union or not, why the live round ? mixed with blank rounds ? and who loaded the revolver or rifle with that live round which in no way looks at all like the blank rounds used.

Yes way.

There was live ammo. NBC Today has an update right now (7am Saturday). The Armorer is the daughter of a long-time Hollywood armorer but is new to her role. It appears there was a break in the chain of custody during a pause on the set and neither she nor Baldwin checked the gun, a .45 Colt revolver, before rehearsal resumed. The one shot went thru the woman and hit the director.

Why on a movie set during a break would anyone load a prop gun with live ammo?

From Chicago Sun Times 6 hours ago:

"New Mexico workplace safety investigators are examining if film industry standards for gun safety were followed during the production of “Rust.” The Los Angeles Times reported that five days before the shooting, Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two live rounds after being told the gun didn’t have any ammunition.

A crew member who was alarmed by the misfires told a unit production manager in a text message, “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by the newspaper".

They are calling the two previous live rounds "misfires", insane. There is no such thing as an accidental discharge, just negligence.

Now that he is a "Person of Interest" (aka as a suspect in the old days), he should now be referred to by his full name Alexander Rae Baldwin III

My response to his Instagram post on the matter,

View attachment 100727

Obviously I would be Brokennock73.
I won't doubt that my response will be removed.

In a sane and responsible world, Baldwin was the LAST person to handle the firearm, so it was HIS responsibility to check it was safe BEFORE he pointed it at someone and fired.

It seems Baldwin SHOULD be charged and found guilty of at least Involuntary Manslaughter, if not criminally Negligent Manslaughter.

Penal Code 192b PC - Involuntary Manslaughter in California (shouselaw.com)

Also, don't forget that an Anti Gun Liberal Progressive is responsible for this homicide with a gun.

Gus

Here is exactly how Brandon Lee died. It was a revolver and they wanted to see the bullets in the cylinder during a shot of the gun pointing towards the camera. To do so they took live ammo and removed the powder, but left the primers in place, effectively making a bunch of squib loads rather than true dummy rounds. Someone fired one and the primer went off and propelled the bullet into the barrel of the revolver where it got stuck.

The gun was then used for another scene without checking that the barrel was clear. I guess nobody wondered where one of the bullets had gone from the homemade squib rounds when they unloaded it. With the bullet still stuck in the barrel, the gun was then loaded with blanks and fired at Lee from about 15' away, which shot out the stuck bullet and killed him.

Pardon the discussion of unmentionable. My understanding these days is that many movie productions will not use any kind of blank rounds or guns capable of actually firing if the shot requires shooting at an actor. They would rather spend the money to add in the gunfire digitally than risk injuring an actor.

I'm not sure what happened with Alec Baldwin, but one story I read said that three guns were on a crafts cart, one was taken and given to Baldwin by someone who yelled "cold" as they did so to indicate to everyone on set that it was unloaded and safe. Apparently not.

There are also reports that some of the production crew walked off the set before the shooting ever happed for various reason, including possible safety issues with the handling of firearms on set. It gives me the willies just to think of being handed a gun and trusting that it was unloaded without verifying it personally. And doubly so if I'm going to be pointing it at someone or have it pointed at me.

How do you live with yourself knowing you killed a friend/coworker out of carelessness.

Correct, Rule #1 Always verify the condition of the firearm handed to you.
Gunnyr

In a sane and responsible world, Baldwin was the LAST person to handle the firearm, so it was HIS responsibility to check it was safe BEFORE he pointed it at someone and fired.

It seems Baldwin SHOULD be charged and found guilty of at least Involuntary Manslaughter, if not criminally Negligent Manslaughter.

Penal Code 192b PC - Involuntary Manslaughter in California (shouselaw.com)

Also, don't forget that an Anti Gun Liberal Progressive is responsible for this homicide with a gun.

Gus
Wonder what the laws are in New Mexico where the accident occurred? Doubt California law will apply.

Just going to throw this out there. You are talking about Hollywood movie people. It is a wonder they even know what end of the gun to pickup, let alone how to check it to see if it is loaded!

Another thing that stuck in my mind was that at least 10 or more of the film crew walked off in protest over safety supposedly. Just hours before the accident was supposed to have taken place. They were immediately replaced with non-union employees, or as they call them SCABs! Sounds like a reason to shove a live round in the prop gun.

Hire damn SCABs, " I will show you"!! When it goes off you will see we were right! :doh:

The lady who was shot handed the gun to Baldwin. Not that I am defending Baldwin but since he is anti-gun I doubt he know how to check it, to see if it is loaded!! Most anti-gun folks that have little to no knowledge about guns. That is why they take the stance they do!

Also to the discussion of are prop guns able to fire. The answer is NO. After the actor picked up a blank gun and put it too his temple and pulled the trigger a new regulation in the industry was enacted!!

Here is a couple of links on how Hollywood is supposed to handle the issue of firearms!

https://theconversation.com/we-are-...-is-what-is-important-in-on-set-safety-170455https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum
Just saying, sometimes you got to stand outside the box to look to see what is inside!!

Just going to throw this out there. You are talking about Hollywood movie people. It is a wonder they even know what end of the gun to pickup, let alone how to check it to see if it is loaded!

Another thing that stuck in my mind was that at least 10 or more of the film crew walked off in protest over safety supposedly. Just hours before the accident was supposed to have taken place. They were immediately replaced with non-union employees, or as they call them SCABs! Sounds like a reason to shove a live round in the prop gun.

Hire damn SCABs, " I will show you"!! When it goes off you will see we were right! :doh:

The lady who was shot handed the gun to Baldwin. Not that I am defending Baldwin but since he is anti-gun I doubt he know how to check it, to see if it is loaded!! Most anti-gun folks that have little to no knowledge about guns. That is why they take the stance they do!

Also to the discussion of are prop guns able to fire. The answer is NO. After the actor picked up a blank gun and put it too his temple and pulled the trigger a new regulation in the industry was enacted!!

Here is a couple of links on how Hollywood is supposed to handle the issue of firearms!

https://theconversation.com/we-are-...-is-what-is-important-in-on-set-safety-170455https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum
Just saying, sometimes you got to stand outside the box to look to see what is inside!!
I don't seem to have a problem making links, I just hit that figure-eight looking doohickey at the top of the text box, and bam, I've got a link.

First off, they need to stop calling the gun a ‘prop’. Movie props are most often not functioning rubber toys made to simply look the part, replica guns that fire only blanks often do not seem real enough. In baldwins case that was a very real colt 45 or magnum.

i dont care what a film set armorer tells you. Someone hands you a real gun, tells me its ok its cold, well its not my gun i dont know it and or im checking it over.

Alec spent many years bashing gun rights but did a lot of film making contributing to a violent gun culture. And now its very much a reality for him.

You point it. You pull the trigger. You're responsible, blank or real.
Even a blank from a cap and ball will tear up a coke can at 2-3 feet.
In my younger years I was a part of reenactments of old west gun fights. Any wadding used to make the charge sound correct would do serious damage at close range thus the shooting was off target toward areas where there were no spectators. Remember the referee that got hit with the wadding from a Cannon blank? He was lucky to be far enough from it but it still rocked his world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back