• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aquafortis vs lmf stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philip

32 Cal
Reaction score
I read about issues with aquafortis. going too dark , turning green, and causing rust
I am tempted to just use stain on my kibler smr with plain maple

Last edited:
Aquafortis is the only option. Especially with plain maple. It can turn plain maple into not quite so plain anymore. Stain won't do that.

The green is not from ferric nitrate. It’s from chromium trioxide known as magic maple. It’s from the wizard of Oz. Never use it. It’s sale should be banned.

Over the course of 40 years of use, analine dye stains will often fade. AQF, neutralized if a form with residual acidity is used, will not fade or darken over 40 years of use.

aqua fortis is great on maple and ash. it will never fade and not difficult to use. wipe it on and let it dry. it will give it a horrible green color till it is blushed. then in needs to be neutralized. it is wise to try it on a test piece or two. try it at different solution and also finishing with different oil tung vs. BLO. its only downside is that you have little control over the actual color.

I use both. I start with Kiblers iron nitrate, and after blushing I use LMF Lancaster maple or maple depending on the color I want. After that Tried & True until the grain is filled.

I’ve tried several times, never had good results
But
It is the best looking when done right, I just never got good at it
Laurel mountains stain here:
8140AF91-7D0D-44BB-AFF6-5C50AD9D61E5.jpeg
43D909EB-D78E-4CF2-9392-73F35365EEBB.jpeg

Back